Hook'em from Austin, TX

How's it going, everyone? Looking to get into back country hunting next year, and Texas is not the place to do that even though I love this state for many other reasons. I'm ready to get out of the blind/tree stand and am slowly gathering the gear I need to set myself up for success in the back country. Luckily, I have backpacking experience so there's some overlap there. Thanks to Rokslide for being a great resource. Take care!

OP
ElectricJellyfish

Hondo

WKR
Howdy from a fellow Texan and UT alum. You came to the right place as this site is a excellent resource for backcountry endeavors and is full of wonderful folks with lots of knowledge to share. Looking less likely that I am headed to the mountains this year so it's going to be whitewings, quail, whitetails, song dogs, hogs and the fishes for me.

OP
ElectricJellyfish
Awesome! Maybe we'll see you out there.

I hope so! One of the few good things about the pandemic is that I have a decent amount of PTO saved up haha.

Howdy from a fellow Texan and UT alum. You came to the right place as this site is a excellent resource for backcountry endeavors and is full of wonderful folks with lots of knowledge to share. Looking less likely that I am headed to the mountains this year so it's going to be whitewings, quail, whitetails, song dogs, hogs and the fishes for me.

Hook'em! Yeah, I've already learned a ton here even after going a decent amount of research before joining the site. I don't think a trip outside of Texas is in the cards for me this year, but that just gives me more time to prepare and do it right.

Welcome! Boomer sooner!

Thank you! Stop being good at football please. Except y'all just landed the #1 QB in the 2021 class so...unlikely. Here's to hoping the RRS still happens even with the State Fair cancelled.

Fitzwho

WKR
Wreck'em from Midland. Lived in Austin a few years after college, but been back out in West Texas for the last 8 years.

There's some leftover Coues' deer tags in AZ you might look at for this fall. If I didn't have my NM Mule Deer and AZ Elk tags, I would be picking one of those up. And watch for leftover/turn back tags in Colorado after they finish up the second draw.

OP
ElectricJellyfish
Howdy from San Antonio

Hello! Went to UTSA for a year. Hated it haha.

Wreck'em from Midland. Lived in Austin a few years after college, but been back out in West Texas for the last 8 years.

There's some leftover Coues' deer tags in AZ you might look at for this fall. If I didn't have my NM Mule Deer and AZ Elk tags, I would be picking one of those up. And watch for leftover/turn back tags in Colorado after they finish up the second draw.

Appreciate the info! Not sure if I'll be able to make it happen this year, but AZ wouldn't be too bad of a drive.