Horn Replicas.

Planning for success is always a good thing. I have been searching on here and taxidermist plan A is to go with Dewey and do a shoulder mount. I haven’t called them yet but will also have a plan B. It appears Dewey works with Wy Backcountry Decor which makes replicas.

I see some people get replicas made. I think it would be awesome to have one made so I can hold it, sip whiskey and remember the adventure. My question is for those of you that have done replicas do you use the replica on the mount or for the hands on set?

Lastly, my internet search didn’t yield any other company doing replicas for a specific ram. Any others you recommend?
Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning for success is always a good thing. I have been searching on here and taxidermist plan A is to go with Dewey and do a shoulder mount. I haven’t called them yet but will also have a plan B. It appears Dewey works with Wy Backcountry Decor which makes replicas.

I see some people get replicas made. I think it would be awesome to have one made so I can hold it, sip whiskey and remember the adventure. My question is for those of you that have done replicas do you use the replica on the mount or for the hands on set?

Lastly, my internet search didn’t yield any other company doing replicas for a specific ram. Any others you recommend?
Thanks,
Mike

Josh and Jenny do amazing work, and our great people. Other replicas I've seen don't have the weight that a real head does and the process that they use feels very real. I wouldn't look anywhere else. Dewey is pretty much regarded as the best too. They will both be at the sheep show if your going. As far as which one to mount that's a good problem to have.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I went the direction you are pondering as far as businesses. Dewey mounted my stone sheep and mountain goat while WY Backcountry did replicas of both. Both businesses did great work and are great people to work with. One thing to consider is that the replica sheep horns are hand painted to add the horn color. This can rub off as I found out the hard way as a few very small spots got rubbed while during a move from city to city. I don’t think handling them would rub off the paint but something to ask them about.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
Treedagain - it was in 2014 so I don’t remember exactly but I think it was around $750 ish for the sheep. Pricing varies a bit with size. That price was for a 160” stone sheep. The folks at WY Backcountry are great to deal with and if you were interested I’m sure they’d quote over the phone.

A few years back I killed a 15 year old ram. I wanted to keep the horns as a Euro mount so I could look at them, show them to people and count the rings every now and then since it was such a unique ram. I decided to have replicas made and used on the shoulder mount.

It was roughly 1000 bucks with the guy I used. Knights taxidermy quoted me 1600. The replicas themselves turned out good other than the color, which was way off. This can be rectified, but seems to me that getting the color correct is the hardest part of the process. I had my friend Frank who is truly an artist fix the color issues.

Anyway, I still haven't had the replicas mounted, but I am extremely happy that I kept the original horns European.

Snyd

WKR
Here's another way to fondle your sheep horns. Custom grips made for my custom 500 Linebaugh revolver. These were made by Master Grip Maker Rob Rowen from a small Brooks Range ram I killed several years ago.

P6060007.jpg

P6060010.jpg

P6060024.jpg

P6060025.jpg

Last edited:
Just checked with wyobackcountry and for my 165in desert ram it would be $1,700.

OP
Marine4life
Thanks everyone for the info. Spoke to both Dewey and WY backcountry and have what I need for plan A. Now I just have to get the ram.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
When I said I paid $750 in my prior quote I must not be remembering correctly. They also did my goat for a highly reduced rate as it was the first goat they’d ever tried. Maybe that’s the price I am remembering. Sorry for my earlier bad info.

Jimss

WKR
You might take a look at Antlers by Klaus's website? Several of his bighorn horns were around $800. You may be able to get a discount if you give them color yourself. It's really not that tough. If done correctly none of the paint or stain should come off.

Wow l checked out those replicas and they are pretty incredible. Would be neat to give a buddy who helps on a sheep hunt and may never draw a tag himself.

I had the folks in Wyoming do a replica on my dall. They did a great job. I had the replica placed in the mount and then had a base made for the euro of my original. I can remove the euro from the base for holding if I wish.

Attachments

• zVbVMwdVR4aIoV93lVzDeg.jpg
    zVbVMwdVR4aIoV93lVzDeg.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 129
  • QkBIaF9lRnCrh0OnXsfysg.jpg
    QkBIaF9lRnCrh0OnXsfysg.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 127
OP
Marine4life
Great Ram and the mount looks amazing. I like the idea of the base for the Euro. I think that is the way I will go.

Rancher

FNG
A good friend drew a Rocky tag here in Az.last year.I helped him a little with info about the unit,and phone numbers of people that had hunted the unit.He killed a 182 beautiful ram opening morning,and had a replica done for the mount.The skull was done euoropean.I asked if he would mind if I got a replica also,as it took me 39 years to draw a desert,and I don't have that many years left to draw the Rocky.His replica cost him 1000.00,mine cost 375,as the mold was already done.It is beautiful,and was done by a man in Vail Az. named Paul Broderick.