Hornady 143 ELD-X BC ?

I'm doing some fine tuning on my Gunwerks range-finder and need to adjust my BC or my velocity a little. 500 yards plus I'm a little low. I use the BC that is on the box and chronograph my shots. I load the shells my-self with every single load being weighted with a digital scale so my velocity is pretty consistence. My question is, is the BC on the box correct? Thanks for your help.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks, I will adjust my velocity. I just wasn't sure if others where using the BC on the box or if they need to adjust it a little.

Hornady’s BC are pretty much spot on now that they’re using Doppler to measure them.

Not really aimed at you- but this whole “adjust BC” thing that is now going around in precision circles for anything above transonic, as mentioned, with any bullet with a known good BC number is only confusing people. Take a known BC such as from Hornady, Litz, etc. and start mucking with the number at most ranges and you’re just screwing yourself. The BC is the least error of all variables that’s going to be there, and any error in the BC is very small above transonic and almost certainly not be what is causing discrepancies.

Flyjunky

WKR
So you are saying I do need to adjust my BC?
Sorry, that wasn't a very clear response on my part. Like someone said above, the BC of a bullet is pretty accurate. So, if things aren't matching up then you have a velocity or human issue. Typically most people will adjust the velocity to match what they are seeing on the target, keeping the BC as advertised.

OP
Y
Hornady’s BC are pretty much spot on now that they’re using Doppler to measure them.

Not really aimed at you- but this whole “adjust BC” thing that is now going around in precision circles for anything above transonic, as mentioned, with any bullet with a known good BC number is only confusing people. Take a known BC such as from Hornady, Litz, etc. and start mucking with the number at most ranges and you’re just screwing yourself. The BC is the least error of all variables that’s going to be there, and any error in the BC is very small above transonic and almost certainly not be what is causing discrepancies.
Thank you, that's why I wanted to ask before I go chasing my tail.

OP
Y
Sorry, that wasn't a very clear response on my part. Like someone said above, the BC of a bullet is pretty accurate. So, if things aren't matching up then you have a velocity or human issue. Typically most people will adjust the velocity to match what they are seeing on the target, keeping the BC as advertised.
Thank you!! It's not a human error it has to be my velocity :) . Just kidding. I will adjust my velocity. Thanks again.

OP
Y
Just wanted to do a follow up. I put the BC exactly what is on the box and adjusted my velocity till it had me adjust to where I was hitting the target at 550 yards. Then I took a range at 800 yards (not going to shot that far hunting) and shot, hit 4" low and 4" to the right (that was probably me). It looks like I am right on the money. Thanks for the help!!