Hornady A-Tip Match Bullets

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Guys.....

Shooting a bullet into wood, has no translation whatsoever to performance in tissue.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Guys.....

Shooting a bullet into wood, has no translation whatsoever to performance in tissue.

Is it the same as tissue? Of course not. In testing we work off of comparisons sometimes. For example, one could know that a specific bullet works excellent on game. Comparing that bullet and a new bullet under the same test conditions gives very good information. I expect after this fall is over with we'll have a pretty good idea how well the A-tips work under a variety of conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is it the same as tissue? Of course not. In testing we work off of comparisons sometimes. For example, one could know that a specific bullet works excellent on game. Comparing that bullet and a new bullet under the same test conditions gives very good information. I expect after this fall is over with we'll have a pretty good idea how well the A-tips work under a variety of conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not how it works with bullets. I can state factually that shooting wood has zero correlation to tissue. It will only tell you how it performs in wood.

A-Tips work fine in tissue.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
That’s not how it works with bullets. I can state factually that shooting wood has zero correlation to tissue. It will only tell you how it performs in wood.

A-Tips work fine in tissue.
Umm yeah dude.. we all know wood's not flesh.
Tumbleweed said it pretty well, this is just a comparison to see how different types of bullets expand in the same media.

In my experience shooting into wood is a very conservative way to test expansion, and it has been a very good indicator of how a bullet will behave on game.
Liquid actually initiates expansion more than wood alone.

I've had 250 grain Berger's pencil through cedar logs with impact velocities around 2000 fps, and we all know they expand well on game at that velocity.

I'm really hoping for some on game results soon, hopefully I'll have some results on elk in a few weeks

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Umm yeah dude.. we all know wood's not flesh.
Tumbleweed said it pretty well, this is just a comparison to see how different types of bullets expand in the same media.

Except, that the media is NOT transferable. Bullet “A” amd “B” both do well in tissue. Bullet “A” expands in wood. Bullet “B” does not expand at all in wood. Shooting them into wood, did not tell you anything about what either bullet does in tissue.
I get it, people want a way to “test” bullets before they use them. Unfortunately, there is no home brew method to test bullet performance in tissue, unless you buy and make ordnance grade ballistic gelatin and calibrate it.

Different media has different effects on bullets regardless of what those bullets do in another media. Your comment below, is an example of that.

I've had 250 grain Berger's pencil through cedar logs with impact velocities around 2000 fps, and we all know they expand well on game at that velocity.

You’re making my point. Those 250gr Berger’s preform well in tissue, poorly in wood. On the flip side, Barnes TSX’s perform well in tissue, and they expand in wood. You can’t compare how one bullet will do in tissue to another bullet, by shooting them into wood.
I am extremely familiar with terminal ballistics testing. If there was ANY correlation with terminal effects of bullets by shooting wood, mud, dirt, water, etc., we would use that instead of the expensive and time consuming properly calibrated 10% ballistic gelatin.

If guys want to shoot wood, dirt, cars, whatever- far be it for me to say otherwise. I’m simply offering terminal ballistics facts that shooting into wood, is NOT going to give what you think it will.

Again, the A-Tip performs well in tissue. Not guessing in this.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Awesome!
Could you have posted this before I wasted all my time doing nonsensical useless testing on wood lol...
What velocity are you running them in your 30 Nos?

2950 FPS with 570 and Bertram Brass.