Hornady A-Tips

Any opinions or experience with A-Tips. I’ve been using ELD-M and recently read about the reliability (or lack thereof) of the plastic tips…which led to the A-Tip being developed.

Hype? Or better than Berger?

OP
Jackie_Daytona
Seems like you can’t find much of anything lol. I want to make sure I know what to get whenever it does come back.

Yes know what you mean, Sierra 165 .308 SPBT is now a go too for me, the local gun shop seems too be able too keep them in stock.

OP
Jackie_Daytona
I get to cheat and get a stock of 168 smk from work…but that’s for the .308. Going bigger id like to have better bullets.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any opinions or experience with A-Tips. I’ve been using ELD-M and recently read about the reliability (or lack thereof) of the plastic tips…which led to the A-Tip being developed.

Hype? Or better than Berger?

There is no reliability issue with plastic tips. That’s not the reason for the A-Tip.

As far as A-Tips go, precision and flight is excellent, terminal effects can be variable depending on which specific model and it varies between lots.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot all 3 in my 6br. Granted these are the 6mm, 105 hybrid, 108 ELD-M and 110 ATip the berger and Atip both shoot well. I didn't like the ELD-M.

Got a 6.5CM build in time to pack the last week of the season. I shot a mulie and my youngest shot a whitetail. Was very pleased with the first 2 shots on animals. Good placement, yes. But the bullets performed excellent. Nothing crazy, 165yds and 120yds. 153gr A-Tip. I bought 1000 of them this Nov-Dec. Only 2 bucks, but a good start for the first week.
Accuracy is excellent with my combo

LonePeak18

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the reliability issues related to plastic tips comes from the old Hornady A Max bullets. Supposedly this issue was fixed with the introduction of the ELD-X and ELD-M.

Atips shoot great and are extremely consistent. Not too cheap though. I’ve had good luck with them so far, target use only.

Atips shoot great and are extremely consistent. Not too cheap though. I’ve had good luck with them so far, target use only.
You are correct. I bought some at Scheels. $74/100, no shipping, limit of 200. Then… they were out of stock everywhere. Some sites were over $90/100 and not even available. After a while, I found a deal at $68/100 with no limit and BOUGHT bullets!