Hornady auto charge pro or beam scale

Looking for a decent scale that won't break the bank and will give me accurate loads for 6.5 prc that will be used for hunting out to 700 yards.

Hornady has the new auto charge pro that looks good, I assume it's still a load cell scale. With it being the newest release maybe it does a better job at limiting drift. Would also use the scale for loading 9mm for target shooting as well.

If the auto charge pro won't give consistent enough loads then I will probably just get a 10/10 scale.

Anyone have experience with the new Hornady auto charge pro that can chime in on how accurately it with dispense charges?

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't already have a balance type scale you should get one just for the fact that electronics don't last forever, and the mechanical scale will. I have a couple of electronic scales, but wouldn't ever be without a mechanical balance.

With regards to loading 9mm ammo. I'm assuming that you have a powder dispenser (thrower). Once you have your powder dispenser set and verified there's no need to weigh individual pistol charges other than the random double check.

-- Scott

OP
T
I have a rcbs 505 that came with my rock chucker kit years ago but needs to be calibrated. I like the dials on the 10/10 better, the 505 would be a backup for the Hornady pro or a 10/10.
Just now getting into 9mm, have the uniflow but haven't set it up yet.

Years ago I reloaded .338 winmag but with this current ammo shortage I 'm reloading 6.5 prc, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 grendel, 300 blackout and 9mm.

Reloading that many cartridges makes me want something like the Hornady auto charge pro but want it to produce accurate loads for the 6.5 prc and creedmoor. A beam scale will be accurate, just on the slow side.

Rob5589

WKR
I use an older 10/10 that is spot on but, slow for high volume. I used a Chargemaster in the past and currently use a Chargemaster Lite. Both were/are spot on with my trusted 10/10, although the Lite is slower and not programmable like the CM. I have a Uniflow as well but have not used it for pistol charges. I'm not sure how consistent it would be dependent on the powder used; flake vs ball as an example.

OP
T
Haven't used the uniflow as I just weighed each charge in the past, if I did use it, it would be it on N340, extruded.

Wondering if the Hornady auto charge pro would be a good do it all or if just using a mechanical scale and a charge thrower would cover low volume rifle loading and high volume pistol loading better.

Quant

FNG
You could use a balance beam scale for rifle load development, and then switch to an electronic scale for volume loading later. Usually you will find that a good powder charge node is about 0.3 grains wide..sometimes wider. You can then just use the mid-point in your electronic scale and not worry about the 0.1 error.

I have used the Chargemaster...no experience with the Hornady scales.

Rob5589

WKR
Haven't used the uniflow as I just weighed each charge in the past, if I did use it, it would be it on N340, extruded.

Wondering if the Hornady auto charge pro would be a good do it all or if just using a mechanical scale and a charge thrower would cover low volume rifle loading and high volume pistol loading better.

Man, high volume pistol would be monotonous with a beam scale. If you could get accurate, consistent drops out of the Uniflow it shouldn't be too terrible.

OP
T
Guess I will give the uniflow a try for consistent 9mm loads, right now my load is 4.2 grains behind a 147 gr bullet, hopefully the uniflow can throw this reliably.
If this works then I will get a 10/10, if not I will probably give the Hornady auto charge pro a shot.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience N340 meters fine. I wouldn't be worried about throwing 4.2 gr charges of it. I would get the small metering assembly from RCBS as it's designed for throwing smaller charges that are more suited for pistol ammunition.

-- Scott

OP
T
In my experience N340 meters fine. I wouldn't be worried about throwing 4.2 gr charges of it. I would get the small metering assembly from RCBS as it's designed for throwing smaller charges that are more suited for pistol ammunition.

-- Scott
Awesome, will have to order that, now to find a 10/10 scale.

tuk

FNG
I boutght an auto charge a few years ago. And ended up returning it and the Second one it got replaced with.

OP
T
I boutght an auto charge a few years ago. And ended up returning it and the Second one it got replaced with.
Yeah, I had read that people had issues with the auto charge didn't know if the new pro that came out recently was a step up or if sticking with mechanical was the way to go for my budget.