Hornady brass

BuckSnort

WKR
Looking to get some Hornady brass for our 6.5 CM's... Is there a difference in these besides the significant price difference?

Attachments

• hornady brass.JPG
    hornady brass.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 70

mechengr

FNG
Bulk bag brass shouldn't be any different than what comes in a box, just might need a little more TLC during brass prep on the first loading. Chamfer/deburr, fix out of round case mouths, etc

rmarshall

WKR
I've been using Hornady in 270 Win and 7mm-08 for several years and have had great luck with it.

new2mud

FNG
While I have heard that Hornady brass leaves much to be desired, everything I have heard from others and experienced personally points to it being pretty robust for 6.5 PRC. Some have achieved 12+ reloadings so far.

Obviously not the same as 6.5 CM brass but just wanted to through that out there lest we categorically throw out all Hornady together.

tdhanses

WKR
At the same load I’m getting around 50ft/s faster velocities from ADG over Hornady brass, this is also shooting 156gr Berger’s.

A 50ft/s increase is huge for the 6.5cm imo.

new2mud

FNG
At the same load I’m getting around 50ft/s faster velocities from ADG over Hornady brass, this is also shooting 156gr Berger’s.

ADG typically has less capacity than Hornady. Wouldn't pressure signs show up at same velocities (not necessarily powder charge weight)? Or are you running out of case fill capacity and therefore not able to get as much powder in the case with Hornady brass to get the same velocity as you're getting with ADG?

4ester

WKR
Those who say that Hornady brass sucks must not remember the old days of bulk Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. Just prep it a little and it’s not a bad option for a hunting rifle where chances are you are gonna lose some over time.

If you plan on doing long range precision ammo, then maybe spend the extra $$ and go with ADG, Alpha, Gunwerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
ADG typically has less capacity than Hornady. Wouldn't pressure signs show up at same velocities (not necessarily powder charge weight)? Or are you running out of case fill capacity and therefore not able to get as much powder in the case with Hornady brass to get the same velocity as you're getting with ADG?

I would assume yes but I did side by side testing and haven’t seen much for pressure yet other then the primer starting to flatten, but I’m also done as I’ve found a sweet spot and know the next will be either in pressure or lack of capacity. I’m using RL16 powder.

But let’s look at this and say I get the same velocity and pressure with 1 less gr (what I’m seeing is pretty much 1gr less in ADG is about the same velocity and pressure as Hornady at 1gr more) over 100 loads and my load is say 25grs vs 26grs, that gives me 4 extra loads with the same powder or a savings of 4 loads worth of powder. With good powders getting harder to get that savings adds up big time over the life of an 8lb jug of powder.

So to me ADG brass will pay for itself over its life in powder savings vs the small difference in savings for Hornady.

ADG is pretty affordable at $38.95 per 50 https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/ADG65CM1/ADG-Brass

Plus it comes in a nice reusable ammo container.

055B72D1-4386-43C5-9FC0-5BBC45DF5F8D.jpeg

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
It works fine. I’m shot it till the primer pockets got loose. With good case prep I got single digit SD and ES. I shot it from when it was 1st available till Lapua came out with 6.5 Creedmoor brass.
I shoot Lapua now. Less work from the start. If I couldn’t find it I would shoot Hornady without hesitation.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought Hornady and Prime loaded ammunition to shoot then use them for reloads. I have a couple hundred Hornady brass that has held up fine after 6 loadings. They did require trimming after 4th load. I also have the same amount of Peterson but haven't loaded these enough times to know how well they will hold up. I don't push the loads so really can't see any difference between the two.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks guys... Ya I always prefer top end brass but the 6.5CM is the only caliber we have that I dont load for yet and we have been shooting factory so I already have a few hundred cases and was thinking about just sticking to Hornady because of that..

Thats probably cause thats where the ADG brass reaches the same pressure.. Have you done a case capacity test yet? I'm betting the ADG has less case capacity and just reaches those pressures faster (less powder)..

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks guys... Ya I always prefer top end brass but the 6.5CM is the only caliber we have that I dont load for yet and we have been shooting factory so I already have a few hundred cases and was thinking about just sticking to Hornady because of that..

Thats probably cause thats where the ADG brass reaches the same pressure.. Have you done a case capacity test yet? I'm betting the ADG has less case capacity and just reaches those pressures faster (less powder)..

I didn’t really, the ADG does compress the load sooner so capacity is less in that scientific approach but Imo that is a plus, less powder used to obtain the same results. I have 160 Hornady brass, I’ll keep it but I’ll be using ADG going forward as 100 brass was cheap.

I should say the max load I tested in Hornady was pretty compressed when seating the bullet, I was starting to get pressure signs but also started getting a seating stem ring. The ADG didn’t have any seating stem marks at the max load with it and it produced roughly similar results, so I don’t think case capacity is much lower.

Maybe I’ll do a water test to see what the diff is.

Last edited: