Hornady brass

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack this from a 6.5 thread, but I have a 100ct bulk pack 300 Win Mag Hornady brass, its not annealed. Its still in the pack... I see some Hornady brass hate here, but what specific aspects (aside from capacity compared to ADG) does the brass fall short? Fewer reloads, poor case to case consistency, soft brass, what? Thanks in advance

new2mud

FNG
Not to hijack this from a 6.5 thread, but I have a 100ct bulk pack 300 Win Mag Hornady brass, its not annealed. Its still in the pack... I see some Hornady brass hate here, but what specific aspects (aside from capacity compared to ADG) does the brass fall short? Fewer reloads, poor case to case consistency, soft brass, what? Thanks in advance

Complaints I have heard mostly center around softer brass causing primer pockets to loosen up sooner, and less weight consistency. It will also vary by caliber.

For example, 6.5 PRC shooters are reporting great case life, over 12 loadings and counting. If your standard for case sorting is 2-3 grain variation, then I have seen about 85% falling within 3 grains (on a 200+ grain case), so more culling or sorting than what others report with ADG.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I guess I'll sort by weight and shoot it til it wears out before getting more premium stuff.

Thank you! I guess I'll sort by weight and shoot it til it wears out before getting more premium stuff.

I recently weight sorted over 250 pieces of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass. There was over an 8 grain variance in the weight. The majority fell within 4 grains of the min or max but I was rather shocked. Nosler and Alpha (my personal favorite) didnt show nearly the weight variation.

How much variation do you allow between your cases?

When I weight sort (and I dont for all brass) I try to keep it within 1 grain but preferably a half grain. If I'm going to put the effort in to sort, I figure may as well keep it as tight as I can.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I understand. I have segregated by headstamp and only run certain brass in certain weapons but never have gone as far as weighing individual pieces for that level of consistency. For example, I have a Savage model 12 that only gets fed one load with Winchester brass, and it shoots 5 shot, single hole groups at 100 yards.

PA_Probe

FNG
Hornady brass seems softer than others. I was loading my first loads for 6.5 grendel and thought I was getting pressure signs because of ejector marks even though I was a full grain below max. Turns out the case heads are just soft and were marking easy.