Hornady ELD-X Ammo issues

Wags

WKR
Its no necessarily a problem unless you consider it to be one. People have been killing large critters for a while now with the ELDX. Not sure if you've tried them yet but my Dad's 300 WM Tikka really likes the factory loads from Barnes pushing the TTSX and shot the Nosler factory loads with Accubonds really well too.

I've tried the 180 Barnes through my gun, its about 2 MOA with that load unfortunately. The 165 Accubonds are about 1.5 MOA, but even at that I cant find the Accubonds anywhere and due to CA being the worst state in the Nation for gun ownership I cannot get ammo shipped here even If I did find them.

willidru

WKR
I’ve had good experiences with my 200 gr ELD-X they kill with little chase. Over the last 3 years killed 3 mulies, 3 cows and 2 bulls between 350-650. It doesn’t exit like the 180 gr Barnes but after losing a bull I tracked blood on for 2 miles (using Barnes) I’d rather make sure I got 98% of the meat than 0.

not to say Barnes doesn’t kill because I used it for years with great success.

Both factory loads give me right around 1/2” groups So can’t complain about that. Also had great groups out of the federal premium Nosler Partition, just haven’t used on animals since the ELD-X shoots so well out of both my rifle and my hunting partner's

Pic is ELD-X out of Cow at 400 yards

Attachments

• 8C898B80-9C64-472A-AB37-B2E492AC5208.jpeg
    8C898B80-9C64-472A-AB37-B2E492AC5208.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 86

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I think folks put themselves into some interesting trade offs when they pick either a caliber or a bullet that isn't well suited to both the game and the types of shots they want to take (or can make).

People get wrapped up on things like energy, weight, caliber, sectional density and so on without giving a lot of though to the mechanism through which the bullet is designed to wound, how consistently it does so, and what it's optimal velocity range is.

I think Rokslide, and others, have moved the ideal velocity range for copper monos into the realm of common knowledge. There are scenarios in which they're good... and a lot in which they're not. Likewise, the ideal velocity range for cup and core bullets of soft/frangible construction is known.

Ultimately, as long as the hunter understands the strengths and weaknesses and then chooses a projectile suited to what and how they hunt, good results will be obtained.

kcm2

WKR
I had the same problem last year with a 103 ELD-X out of a 6mm Creedmoor. One pronghorn, 100 yds, witnessed hit in the chest at 100yds, dropped, then got up and ran off. Never found her. 2nd one, 275 yds, penetrated about 4", recovered that one.

I won't use ELD-X bullets any more. Can't trust them. Went to the 90 gr GMX, which in 270, the 130 GMX has performed perfectly.

Carr84

FNG
I'm sitting here debating between my 145 ELD-X or 150 AB... I maybe sticking with 150s

Berger024

WKR
I have shot 3 whitetails and 4 hogs w/ Precision Hunter. Two whitetail with a 308 at around 75yds and one with a .260Rem at 120 yds. All three had fur, but no blood at the shot site. All three took some gridding to find and they all ran between 20-70yds from fields into thick timber. The hogs were shot between 360 and 420 and dropped within 10 yds. Those Hornady's are ridiculously accurate out of gas and bolt guns, but I was not impressed with the exit wounds on the whitetail.

kcm2

WKR
The first two pronghorns I shot with the 103 ELDX had wound channels that looked like I was shooting partitions, like coring an apple from one side to the other. The last two, well, same problem as the thread originator. Maybe I had a bad lot but I need more consistent performance than the ELDX delivers.

Evergreen

WKR
While very accurate I had the same problem with the ELDX. I switched over to the 140g Nosler Accubond. With the velocities you should be getting the Accubond should perform well out to 600 +/-. No it doesn’t have same BC as the newer long sleek bullets but it has performed well and as I expect.

I shot 3 pronghorn and a mid sized cow elk with 143gr eldx last year. All in the 250yd range 3053fps MV. All of them went down within 50-75 yards of the shot. Best shooting bullet from my PRC and in my.opinion super reliable. All of our sample sizes are pretty small though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-3 ranch

WKR
Not to raise a dead post , but I got to clean or help clean over 20 whitetail
and here’s my observation
the ELD-x should be shot @ low velocity or it explodes even with a weak slow caliber like 6.5 CM , 257 Robert, so forget about a 270, prc , 7 mag , ect
I saw lots better performance with hornday 129 6.5cm whitetail, federal interlock, Core-Lokt
great paper punching bullets

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not to raise a dead post , but I got to clean or help clean over 20 whitetail
and here’s my observation
the ELD-x should be shot @ low velocity or it explodes even with a weak slow caliber like 6.5 CM , 257 Robert, so forget about a 270, prc , 7 mag , ect
I saw lots better performance with hornday 129 6.5cm whitetail, federal interlock, Core-Lokt
great paper punching bullets

Sweet. Can you show some evidence of “exploding”?

Yes, they all died, however I'm not trusting that load to drive through a shoulder or on Elk.
CE81B017-89EF-4F74-8310-233CA6035286.jpeg
This is the offside shoulder of an elk, after impacting her onside shoulder and going through her entire chest cavity with a slightly thinner jacketed bullet, the ELDM. They will drive through elk shoulders just fine.

ETA: shoot what you feel most confident in, just trying to relay info to the interested.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
On a piece of paper no , meat and bone yes from my experience

Do you have any pictures of your experience?

I watched 5 elk killed with the 143gr ELD-X in the last month. Three of the five got shoulder shots (517y, 637y, and 369 y). In more than a hundred animals killed with ELD-X around 80% have exited from less the ten feet to well past 800 yards. If you include other ELD-X calibers and weights, it’s a hundred of animals.

ELD-X’s are rapidly upsetting, thin jacketed cup and core bullets with a minor lock ring that generally keep the core and jacket together- they do not “explode”.

Fuenstock

FNG
Nothing new to add,
But I had same experience with 6.5 prc 143g eld-x.
Poor penetration and bullets fragmenting if it even nicks a bone.
Wasn’t impressed buts it’s all I found at the time for rounds as I’m not a reloaded.
Biggest lesson I learned is,
Start reloading!

TheHammer

WKR
Do you have any pictures of your experience?

I watched 5 elk killed with the 143gr ELD-X in the last month. Three of the five got shoulder shots (517y, 637y, and 369 y). In more than a hundred animals killed with ELD-X around 80% have exited from less the ten feet to well past 800 yards. If you include other ELD-X calibers and weights, it’s a hundred of animals.

ELD-X’s are rapidly upsetting, thin jacketed cup and core bullets with a minor lock ring that generally keep the core and jacket together- they do not “explode”.
This antelope was hit in the ribs just behind the shoulder… the bullet took a 90* and came out it’s back straps.
384yds perfectly broadside, 200gr precision hunter..

Attachments

• 3EA8C6E1-14C0-4BE1-9B9A-B69861A36F87.jpeg
    3EA8C6E1-14C0-4BE1-9B9A-B69861A36F87.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 102