Hornady FPB

Baddog

WKR
I bought some 350 grain to try and they are so tight I can't hardly get them started and when I do I end up creasing the nose of them. I'm not super savvy on this muzzleloading stuff. Am I missing something or a trick to get these suckers started?

Its a Knight Mountaineer rifle.

Thanks

What gun? Sounds like bore is too small for them by a couple thousandths

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I bought some 350 grain to try and they are so tight I can't hardly get them started and when I do I end up creasing the nose of them. I'm not super savvy on this muzzleloading stuff. Am I missing something or a trick to get these suckers started?

Its a Knight Mountaineer rifle.

Thanks

Contact 'Ole Hunter' - he uses them and has a method to get them down his Knight ULite.

Ucsdryder

WKR
They’re tight. But they fit. If the gun is dirty it gets real tough. Make sure you start it straight and not crooked. It’ll go. Put on your big boy britches.

There is a trick to it.

First of all you hav to understand that the body of the bullet is 0.499 but the rear bell is 0.507. So you have to size it to your bore

You need a short bullet started like this:

That even has the right loading tip you need

now set the bullet straight in the end of the muzzle and put the short starter on top. Hold the muzzle/ bullet/ end of the starter with one hand and give the T handle a sharp “WHAP” with your other hand. May take a couple of whaps. That should start the bullet and size it. Then take your ramrod and seat it the rest of the way. It does still take a little pressure ( I think they say about 25 lbs). So I like to use a ramrod with a folding T handle like this.

That is not the exact one you need because it is for T/C rifles. They make a universal one you can cut to the right length.

or you could use one of these with your own ramrod:

Last edited:
Did that work For more than one gun? All mine are different sizes including a white that is 0.504

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My Knight Ultra Lite .50 cal has a 501 bore .I resize using a Lee resizing die . The slide right in . They hammer elk hard .

Attachments

• IMG_20190425_192224878.jpg
    IMG_20190425_192224878.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
B

Baddog

WKR
Slightly more complicated than I was hoping for but I’ll make it work

The short starter is really all you need for sure. Cheap fix

There is really nothing much about muzzleloading that is easy. Can be frustrating, but also one of the reasons I enjoy it.

OP
B

Baddog

WKR
Shot them today. Using a rubber mallet to get them started straight then they go right in (don’t laugh)... Used 100 grains of triple 7 does that seem like a reasonable amount? Shooting about 2” groups at 65 yards.
Thinking I’m going to do the lee sizer or try different bullets.
Thanks for the insight. Pretty confident in shooting and screwing around with centerfire guns but muzzleloaders are all new to me...

Here is the next one I would try.

Also if you stay with the Hornadys. Clean your guns and while the breechplug is still out push a few bullets down thru the barrel and out the breech. Those are the bullets you take with you hunting. They are presized and easy to load in the field. Be sure to push them thru on a padded surface so they don’t get dinged on a Hard surface.

OP
B

Baddog

WKR
I’m going to do a half dozen that way and try it in a couple days. That seems like a idea and would make life easy

And I guess you know they don’t make Hornady FPBs any more. There is only one source for them and when they are gone, they are gone.

I have not heard that they are making them again. Last I heard this company bought all remaining bullets from Hornady and they only have the 350s left. I ordered 150 from them. Unblemished: