Hornady GMX

Anyone have any experience with these? How does this perform on deer sized game? Penetration and accuracy?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen the 150 gr from a 30-06 perform quite well. Buddy shot a 300ish pound hog straight in the shoulder at about 300 yards. Recovered the slug in the offside shoulder, lungs were liquid and the hog made it maybe 10 yards. Textbook expansion.

brsnow

WKR
I used 150 GMX with deer and elk, worked great out of a .308, not long distance 250 on mule deer, 80 on cow elk, both died in sight.

OP
M
Awesome. I will probably use it. Ext year for Wyoming antelope out of my 6.5 Creedmoor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot an antelope just a few weeks ago with a 90gr gmx from my 6mm creedmoor at a little under 300 yards. I was impressed with how it performed, and how large the wound channel through the lungs were. The buck made it about 20 yards. Hopefully I will be using the 180 gr gmx on elk in a few weeks.

The GMX is probably great for the vast majority of hunting shots but since this is the LR hunting forum, I'll chirp that it's a pretty terrible choice for LR based on the lousy BCs and the need for speed to open.

Similar reply to @Fotis. Not much luck in 270 or 7RM for accuracy, but hand loaded Hammer bullets (also all copper) completely different story. If you’re buying box ammo it’s not a horrible option. If you are handloading there are better options in my opinion.

The now discontinued 150gr superperformance GMXs in 150gr shot bug hole groups out of my howa in 300 win. The still available 165s are about 1.3 inch 3 shot groups so not awesome for long range but will laser through any big game (including animals standing behind your target...be careful with these) One deer and one elk had .30 cal entrance wounds and golf ball exits...

pilgrim7

FNG
I've killed 2 deer and a black bear with 120 grain gmx from a 6.5 cm this year in WV. These shots were 40 yards, 60 yards, and 90 yards respectively, long range mileage may vary. The first deer was a frontal/strong quartering to shot. Went through the shoulder, and destroyed the heart and one lung before exiting. The deer went about 20 yards and dropped.

The second deer was broadside, heart shot, DRT with a golf ball sized exit. The bear was quartering away. Minuscule entry, heart and lungs destroyed, through the right shoulder on its way out. Again a golf ball sized exit. The bear died in its tracks.

So far I have been highly impressed with the internal damage these bullets in this caliber have produced. I previously shot a 168 grain ttsx in . 308 for everything, and actually found less organ damage with that set up. Granted it's a small sample size, but I see no reason that I'll be shooting deer or black bear in wooded country with anything else.

To update my experience with the GMX, in third rifle season here in CO I took a mule deer buck and a cow elk with a 180 gmx out of my 300 wm. I took the elk at 530 yards, through the front shoulder and the vitals. Found the bullet on the opposite side just under the skin. The retained weight was 178.9.

Jbone62

FNG
Similar reply to @Fotis. Not much luck in 270 or 7RM for accuracy, but hand loaded Hammer bullets (also all copper) completely different story. If you’re buying box ammo it’s not a horrible option. If you are handloading there are better options in my opinion.
second this for the poor accuracy. Shot a couple groups tonight. Groupings were 2-3 MOA.

*Edit for general insight: used in a browning abolt .270. The lead bullets I was shooting along with it were sub 1 moa.*

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
My Tikka 7mm-08 shoots ~.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the 139 gr. superformance factory ammo.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
I shot an antelope just a few weeks ago with a 90gr gmx from my 6mm creedmoor at a little under 300 yards. I was impressed with how it performed, and how large the wound channel through the lungs were. The buck made it about 20 yards. Hopefully I will be using the 180 gr gmx on elk in a few weeks.
If you are a handloader check out my classified add .