Hornady Great Plains in CVA Accura

Hey guys,

I have a pack of Hornady 385gr connicals and am shooting BH209 in a CVA Accura PR with the BH specific breech plug.

Is anyone shooting this combination? What is your charge weight?

I inquired with both CVA and Blackhorn with somewhat standard skirting responses.

CVA said the max charge of BH209 is 84 grains. The CVA manual says max projectile weight of 400gr.

Older Blackhorn bottles said their max projectile weight was 350gr (I believe). Their current bottles don't say this and the website lists loads up to about 440gr.

Blackhorn responded to my inquiry that they hadn't tested this combination and I should stay at or below 70gr charge weight.

Based on what I have read, 70 grains of powder behind a 385 grain projectile seems somewhat anemic?

Also, I believe I've read on here to use a wad with connicals and blackhorn.

CVA said they couldn't recommend that and my "gun isn't designed for patches." My understanding is that a patch and a wad are different and I am not using a patched round ball.

I'm pretty new to this and unsure if there is a way to tell when you are reaching a maximum safe load (sticky breech plug, etc?). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I used to shoot the Hornady 385gr bullets [50Cal Hawken].
Shot some elk and deer. I didnt use any patch or wad with them

I also have a CVA Accura but shoot the 420gr No Excuses w/ 90gr of Pyrodex P.

Id say shoot the 385s w 80grs of BH and see what they do.
I bet you'll be surprised

EDIT: if you find the 385s are bit loose going down the barrel, you can use a piece of parchment paper to take up the difference

I use a 430 bull shop bullet sometimes and I use 80-85 gr of BH (by volume). That is for elk hunting and is more than adequate out to 150 yds. Any more powder than that, and recoil is more than I can take. With a 350 gr bullet, I use 95 gr BH (by volume)