Hornady match .308 primer issue

I’m having a bit of a problem getting the primer to seat in Hornady . 308 match once fired brass. I reloaded around 50 rounds of. 243 Hornady brass last night with no issues at all. Everything seated just fine but this Hornady match brass seems to be off somehow I don’t see a crimp and the primer pocket is cleaned. Is this a known thing or am I doing something wrong?

Doghed

WKR
Yes the primer pockets are/were tight on my Hornady 308win match brass. A little extra work with the uniformer tool was worth it. I've had no seating issues since then. They have been very consistent for me.

I think I've read other people having a similar experience.

OP
Glockster26
Thanks. It’ll bit more research and it does seem like it’s a known thing, I got it straightened out

FishTacos

FNG
I’m having a bit of a problem getting the primer to seat in Hornady . 308 match

I may be having the exact same issue - the primer is not seating fully in the brass on Hornady .308 match. Primers should be recessed a bit, and these aren't even seating flush. If i put the primed case on a table, it wobbles. Was your issue that the primer did not seat deep enough as well or was it a width issue?

A little extra work with the uniformer tool

Did you have the same issue? Primer would not seat deep enough? I think I may need to purchase something like the Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer to try to get the right result

OP
Glockster26
It was with the width . It’s almost like it has a slight crimp or ring on it. I just took my deburring tool and lightly removed that, everything worked great afterwards

Doghed

WKR
Did you have the same issue? Primer would not seat deep enough? I think I may need to purchase something like the Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer to try to get the right result

It wasn't a depth issue for me. It was the diameter of the pocket. I was using the RCBS hand tool with the uniformer but it was taking forever. It was obvious that the uniformer was too big (pocket to small) and getting stuck. I had also done some research and found other folks having similar issues. I ended up buying the K&M uniformer and put it on a variable speed drill motor and it was much better. I never seated a primer before the pocket uniforming was done but I can imagine if I had tried it I probably would have had issues similar to yours. Just too much friction for the press fit.

On the next batch I will be using my Wilson trimmer with the tool made for removing the crimps on LC brass. Then go to the uniformer. The primer pocket uniformer is really to square the bottom of the pocket and set the depth not cutting the walls of the pocket. By forcing the uniformer in it was acting as a swaging operation which was fine but took more effort. Crimp removing is an extra step but its a one time operation and this brass has been good for me so I feel like its worth it.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady Match ammo has crimped primers. RCBS makes a reamer for crimped primer pockets. I use both the large for those 308 cases and the small for 5.56 cases. Chuck it in a drill. The cutter stops cutting once the crimp is removed.