Hornady Precision Hunter 300 Win Mag Disco?

Nwaneal

FNG
I’m not finding this anywhere other than Gunbroker. Does anyone know if this is disco’d? Just hard for me to pay $6 a round.

slowelk

WKR
I would say definitely not discontinued, but I don't actually have a definitive answer. I think it's just been snatched up, and lower on the production list for Hornady since the shortage began. Same with the 300 PRC precision hunter. No reason for that ammo to be discontinued. It will be back on shelves someday.

The only 300 WM ammo that I know to be discontinued is the Berger loaded non-saami 215 hybrids.

Ammo prices are high. But I rather pay $6 per round and hunt than pay $0 and not hunt.

Confirm your rifle is on and then practice with a cheaper shooting rifle. Ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt even at $6 a pop. You only need one shot.

OP
Nwaneal

Nwaneal

FNG
Ammo prices are high. But I rather pay $6 per round and hunt than pay $0 and not hunt.

Confirm your rifle is on and then practice with a cheaper shooting rifle. Ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt even at $6 a pop. You only need one shot.
True true, I guess I’m just spoiled to practicing with the same ammo I hunt with :(

Laramie

WKR
Hornady has frustrated me over the past 5 years. There are a few rounds that aren't discontinued... but they aren't manufacturing the rounds anymore. One that I absolutely loved, 165 grain 30-06 interbond, has not been available for years in loaded ammo. I still have a case left that I thankfully bought before they stopped. I have a friend that works there and he is told the same thing- they aren't officially discontinued, they just aren't manufacturing them. He believes the brass is pushing towards going all copper in the future on their loaded ammunition while still offering bullets for reloaders. I can't confirm but I have heard rumors there are government incentives for manufacturers to go this route. I'm not a fan at all.

True true, I guess I’m just spoiled to practicing with the same ammo I hunt with :(
Use a rimfire or a 223 to do the bulk of your practice. The same fundamentals apply whether you're shooting a 22 LR or a 300 WM.

The last shooting practice I do before any hunt is pretty simple. I take my T1X and a box of ammo (50 rounds) and head to the range. For each and every shot I strictly follow the entire shooting process that I use in the field. It is slow, boring, and immensely effective (at least for me) when it is time to take a shot on game.

With all that said, some folks are ardent believers that you have to shoot 1000s of rounds per rifle annually in order to make an accurate shot.

Laramie

WKR
Use a rimfire or a 223 to do the bulk of your practice. The same fundamentals apply whether you're shooting a 22 LR or a 300 WM.

The last shooting practice I do before any hunt is pretty simple. I take my T1X and a box of ammo (50 rounds) and head to the range. For each and every shot I strictly follow the entire shooting process that I use in the field. It is slow, boring, and immensely effective (at least for me) when it is time to take a shot on game.

With all that said, some folks are ardent believers that you have to shoot 1000s of rounds per rifle annually in order to make an accurate shot.
Great advice imo. I shot less than 5 rounds a year of practice with my hunting rifle and hunting loads. I shoot a lot of 22. Have my son do the same. Shooting a 22 at 200 yards can be challenging and really makes a guy focus on fundamentals.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Prices on hunting ammo are only going to go up as season approaches. We're lucky to see a case of hornady precision hunter come in at all. One of our distributors sends us 1-2 BOXES of choice ammunition at a time and our cost goes up about $2-5 every MONTH on some of this ammo. It's definitely insane. Not going to get better any time soon.

Grumman

WKR
I don’t know if it is on there website, but Smoky Mountain Knifeworks had about 50 boxes of 300Win Precision Hunter on the shelf Sunday. Was $49.99 per box. It might be worth a call as they do sell ammo online.

They did have some 260 Remington on the shelf that was not on their website when I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk