Hornady SST vs Interlock

I have a rem 700 in 30-06. I have reloaded both the 150 grn Hornady SST and the 150 grn Hornady interlock. The gun likes both. I am taking my brother in law on his first hunt. I know both rounds are good hunting rounds but does anyone have a preference between the 2? He has a mule deer hunt as well as a cow elk hunt. Furthest he’ll shoot is 250-300 yards.

2five7

WKR
I like SST's for Elk, when they are heavy for caliber. That 150 is fairly light for a .30, of those two I'd probably choose the standard Interlock.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Interlock. I killed a bunch of animals with the SST in 30 cal, wasn't impressed with the weight retention and lots of meat loss, but killed em very dead. Been liking the interlock more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree with UtahJimmy and have had the same result. The SSTs always shot a bit better for me and so I shot them. However, they just tended to blow things up to such a degree that I went to the Soft Points (Interlock) and then finally to Nosler Accubonds because the Interbonds just didn't group well.
I think that you will be fine with either but I think that the Interlock will work just fine and keep a little more meat.

At mid to high velocities, I also suggest a heavier choice, in .30 at least 165 and better, 180 grain, in conventional cup and core technology.

OP
kboatman107
I guess my other question would be is 150 grn interlock enough for a cow elk? I don’t want to have to change but if I need to I can.

I saw a caribou bull killed this spring with that same 30-06/150 SST combo. Size wise it was about the same as a cow elk I'd think. Did the job just fine. Made a bit of a mess, but penetration at 30-06 speeds was adequate.

As a side note, I've used and seen used a large variety of bullets on game via 30-06. That includes most variations of the common Hornadys. While the wounds may be slightly different, the common denominator is that they have all worked. A good hit has resulted in a dead animal 100% of the time. While I typically prefer 180's myself, if I was dialed in with 150's on something the size of a cow elk, I would go hunting and not think anything of it.

Probably enough for a broadide easy shot. For quartering away, disappearing into the forest, I would rather have more.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
They are basically the same bullet, one just has a polymer tip and is more streamlined. If they both shoot well then flip a coin. I’ve used both (on deer) and they both perform well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SST.. Super Shrapnel Tipped. Lol
Man those violently expand and do incredible damage. Very accurate out of every rifle I've tried, highly recommended

My experience is loading 154gr SST's and Interbonds in 7mm RM, but not the Interlock. The SST's were very accurate, a little more so than the Interbonds. As others have noted, the SST's have crazy expansion on animals. Everything I've shot with them has gone down quickly, but the excessive meat loss caused me to switch to the Interbonds.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I have had similar results mentioned above. In 150 and 165 gr SST's my experience in my 30-06 is that they shoot great but explode and tear things up. I have switched and stuck with bonded bullets ever since. There are lots of good ones out there. I have had good luck with Accubonds in a variety of calibers and bullet weights.

0uTkAsT

FNG
It depends a lot on application. SSTs come at a great price and shoot superbly well out of my Remingtons, so I use the 165gr. SSTs in my 16" .308s because I need a "softer" bullet that is going to expand reliably at the comparatively low velocities I'm shooting at.

They do tend to come apart at close range and at higher impact velocities and the potential for meat loss from explosive expansion is much higher than that of bonded or solid copper bullets, so If I were shooting a larger caliber or a longer barrel like an -06 with a 20"+ barrel, I personally wouldn't use them.

Last edited:
OP
kboatman107
He ended up going with the Interlocks. They did their job well! Deer was at 220 yards and cow elk was 435 yards. Neither of them made it more than 10 yards. Was awesome taking him on his first 2 hunts! 135337135336

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a mature muley and a cow elk this year with 165 gr sst through my .30-06. Passed through the cow elk after hitting the shoulder. She made it about ten feet from where she was shot. Mule deer got double lunged and was alive for about 15 seconds. For me, they are pretty good bullets!

Bringing this one back. I like how this guy smoked a cow at over 400yds with cheapo old-school150gr interlocks and a wimpy '06. Didn't travel more than 10 yards!!