Horse bit?

Idahoguy

FNG
I know there are a million different reason why and why not. I dont have enough knowledge of the subject to know what is right or wrong. What bit should you use and why? I'm not talking rodeo events just trail riding. Thanks

Honestly anyone who gives suggestions over a forum without seeing or riding your horse cannot give they assumption of which bit to use. If they do don’t take their advice cause it comes down to the same thing as Bullet or broadheads. Depends what your rifle or bow likes and can work with. I WILL challenge any horseman to fight me on this, fit the bit to the horse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honestly anyone who gives suggestions over a forum without seeing or riding your horse cannot give they assumption of which bit to use. If they do don’t take their advice cause it comes down to the same thing as Bullet or broadheads. Depends what your rifle or bow likes and can work with. I WILL challenge any horseman to fight me on this, fit the bit to the horse...

Big antler is speaking facts on this. Much is dependent on the horse. It’s training level, it’s tolerance, and even down to how high or shallow the roof of its mouth is. Here is another fact: bits get blamed for a lot of shortcomings, but these shortcomings are often training holes. Don’t overthink it and try some basic setups and I bet you’ll find something that works just fine.

Another major thing is the rider... I can ride many if my horses in a high port bit but my clients cannot. I can ride a horse in a d ring snaffle but a client can not control the horse. Horse and rider are the major deal.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Fact from big antler. Much is dependent on the horse. It’s training level, it’s tolerance, and even down to how high or shallow the roof of its mouth is. A lot to consider. Here is another fact: bits get blamed for a lot of shortcomings, but these shortcomings are often training holes. Don’t overthink it and try some basic setups and I bet you’ll find something that works just fine.
Another major thing is the rider... I can ride many if my horses in a high port bit but my clients cannot. I can ride a horse in a d ring snaffle but a client can not control the horse. Horse and rider are the major deal.

More fact.

PNWDAN

FNG
Yep, all good advice. You just need to put time into the horse to see what works best for the two of you.

OP
I

Idahoguy

FNG
I have always used a snaffle and it has worked ok. Just so many options I didn't know if something else would be better.

rayporter

WKR
if you can, get the bit the horse was ridden with when you buy. your hands may not be perfect for that bit but it is a start. its all in the hands.

OP
I

Idahoguy

FNG
When I got her the guy was using a correctional curb bit. I'm not even sure what that is supposed to do other than correct issues you would be having.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Can't disagree with anything mentioned above. I'd say majority of tack is about fitting it to the individual horse. There are some exceptions to this but bits are definitely not one. Like others have said, anything from rider experience, horse training, even the size of the horses mouth, etc. can affect how the horse responds to a particular bit. If you own snaffles then there's nothing wrong with starting there. With time you'll find what works and what doesn't. Good luck!

When I got her the guy was using a correctional curb bit. I'm not even sure what that is supposed to do other than correct issues you would be having.

All bits are a tool, regardless, a skilled drywaller may be able to pound a drywall nail with a 3 lb sledge and not damage the drywall, but an intern with the same hammer could put a hole through 2 walls. A buckaroo will ride his horse in a high port chandelier bit, while a cowboy would prefer a short shank snaffle. Another buckaroo prefers a bosal while the cowboy prefers an o ring snaffle.

The bit is effective differently in each riders hand, as a bit is effective in each horses mouth. A horse I rode the other day in shanked twisted chain and she did very well, I swapped horses with a friend who was having trouble on his horse with a tear drop snaffle. The horse I was riding started acting up and having issues, but the horse my friend was on with my hands acted perfectly for me. The difference was the rider. Same bits, same horses different riders. I swapped bits with my friend and same deal, then swapped horses and same deal. I could ride both horses in both bits and not have issues, he rode differently than I did and had different results neither horse would act correctly with either bit when he rode, but I could ride in either bit on either horse and not have issues. I swapped him to a longer shank snaffle bit and his horses started responding to him better. He was to hard handed. I also rode more with soft hands and my feet he was all but no feet.

Try the horse in different stuff, borrow it if you have to til you and your horse find what you both can work with together and be efficient and mainly SAFE

rayporter

WKR
most people will never understand how fast a horse gets a read on you. from the moment they first see you they are sizing you up. from the time your hands touch it to put on a bridle to the time your fanny hits the saddle you are being judged. as you first touch the reins they are getting your "feel" and they react accordingly.

a story
a neighbor had a 2 year old and wanted to break it. he called every night and asked questions about how to teach it. for weeks i explained how to start it out in the round pen.
finally he asked if i would help as he had ran into trouble.

upon turning the filly out in my pen it was obvious that he had done none of the things i had explained to him about round pen work.

so for the next 3 hours i worked his filly and saddled her and then rode her... with no bit or halter. [ her first ride]

i had him ride her with nothing but a haystring around her neck. and she was a doll baby.

the next day he came to pick her up and held up a long shank, high curb bit and asked my opinion. it was what his dad had recommended. well i chewed him out a little and tried to explain that she did not need anything but a halter or at most a snaffle but it fell on deaf ears.

him and his dad killed her trying load her a month later.

I currently own for horses, and I use different bits on all four of them.

If your horse is doing fine with the snaffle there’s no really reason to change. I use a jointed snaffle with a cricket on one of mine.

My suggestion would be to get on the Internet and read up on different kinds of bits and what they do different. Both to the horse and from the hands of the rider. Once you start to learn what different bits do you may start to notice something with your horse where a different bit might help.

gpkhill2

FNG
A lot of good info here. Bits can change from rider to situation and use of the horse. I've got an old gelding that's been cut on, roped on, ranched on and trial rode by kids. He gets rode in everything from a halter to a med port correction depending on what he's doing and who's on him. A lot of the cutting horse I've rode will warm up in one bit. Show in another and cool down in another. Like some else said barrow and try everything you can that's within reason. Don't put a high port correction in a 2yo.

Mule34

FNG
Id find someone who has knowledge about this that lives local to you, and maybe they can help you find the right bit or let you borrow a few. Some horses/ riders cant do certain bits. Like i dont like tighty whitey undies, even know they may work...haha, There has been some solid advice above. Is this your first horse? how is your riding level?

OP
I

Idahoguy

FNG
I have had a couple of horses and am fairly competent at riding. She is 8 and was used to ranch and work a feedlot. I think the problem I have is she is trained better that I know how to use her. Example is leg cues, seat position etc... I probably need a real horse person to give me some pointers.

Mule34

FNG
Think about taking some lessons, never too old to learn a new skill