Horse Hunting Alaska

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever hunted using horses or other stock in Alaska? If so, I’d love to hear about your experiences. I don’t hear much about their use in the state, mainly see wheels, sleds, boats, and planes. Lack of backcountry horse culture in the state as a whole or is it more of an access thing?

Some few still do, although I wouldn't consider it common. My old man had a couple when we were kids....kind of a pain but they did pack out a moose or two.

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Some few still do, although I wouldn't consider it common. My old man had a couple when we were kids....kind of a pain but they did pack out a moose or two.
What do you figure is the reason for its decline? Machines giving so many options or something else?

What do you figure is the reason for its decline? Machines giving so many options or something else?
Yeah, pretty sure machine transport is suspect numero uno in the decline of horse ownership across the board...but Alaska is just not that horse friendly in terms of terrain, climate, feed/vet bills, etc....

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Have a wet summer and see how much it costs to get hay shipped up from the lower 48.

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Have a wet summer and see how much it costs to get hay shipped up from the lower 48.
Ya, I know how bonkers expensive feed can be. Surprisingly, still a pretty healthy horse population.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I lived up at Wainwright/Fairbanks for a bit. I looked at what hay costs were and said "nope".

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about horse hunting up here, but I would say mostly cost, hassle, and terrain. Feed is spendy, thick alders, lack of good trails, and a good pack horse in my opinion needs to be rode ALOT to be in suitable shape and there's not alot of places where i live anyway to just go joyriding. People do it and I'm jealous when i see a picture of a pack string loaded with moose haha but you are limited where you can take them. And some crazy guy in an argo will already be there haha

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about horse hunting up here, but I would say mostly cost, hassle, and terrain. Feed is spendy, thick alders, lack of good trails, and a good pack horse in my opinion needs to be rode ALOT to be in suitable shape and there's not alot of places where i live anyway to just go joyriding. People do it and I'm jealous when i see a picture of a pack string loaded with moose haha but you are limited where you can take them. And some crazy guy in an argo will already be there haha
Ya, some serious trail making would be in order in most places.

There's some non-motorized areas in the state, some pretty big ones, that I have watched horse hunters mosey on up through after I got flown in. Pretty jealous of them at the time. I lived right next to a small ranch that guided via horse back up in Cantwell, AK growing up, the guy did pretty well for himself and certainly didn't seem to mind having to feed around 30 horses.

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
There's some non-motorized areas in the state, some pretty big ones, that I have watched horse hunters mosey on up through after I got flown in. Pretty jealous of them at the time. I lived right next to a small ranch that guided via horse back up in Cantwell, AK growing up, the guy did pretty well for himself and certainly didn't seem to mind having to feed around 30 horses.
Remember the name of that outfit?

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
How much does a ton of hay cost up there? Just curious.
Not sure what round bales are going for right now. I see more square bales (horse people) on the market, ranging anywhere from 11-15.

Idahoguy

FNG
Small square bales? And $11 to $15? If so that is not bad. People pay that in Arizona and parts of Nevada.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are older prices but we used to pay $400/ton for alfalfa and $200/ton or less for brome. Kenny Lake area grows some great brome which was handy being so close to Glennallen where we lived. We always blend fed and mixed up the ratios depending on the season. Looking at the link above it's gotten even more expensive.

My Dad guided for Bud Conkle on horses in the north Wrangells in the early 70's. They'd string the horses into the guide area late summer and work them through the fall. Come fall time they'd round them up and string back home. They had one horse take off at the end of season, he lived with the moose all winter. Bud kept flying over, checking on him and kicking hay out the side of the super cub. He'd be there, a little ways away from the moose but still with them. From then on, he was the go-to horse to watch for animals. He'd perk his head up before anything else. Hated wolves something fierce, no surprise. My Dad's stories go on and on from working out there. Almost makes me want a few but....

We had them growing up and you can keep those things. Caring for them in the winter is the number one reason they aren't as popular IMO. You're perpetually doing one of the following, paying to heat their water or hauling hot water to them, shoveling sawdust, chipping frozen pee out of their stalls, picking hooves, hauling bales, bucking them into the loft, on and on and on. Being tied down to them 12 months out of the year....you can keep all that noise. Yes I already said that but I want to drive the point home.

Additionally, a lot of the non motorized stuff up here doesn't allow pack animals either.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member