Horse Hunting Solo

I haven't seen a llama in the woods since the early 80s but I certainly see the use.

We probably need to discuss stratagy. When I put in a camp, I usually had a plan for 6-8 individual day hunts from that location. But what if there are no elk in those drainages. I reached a point that my target was 4-6 elk that may be in one of 10-12 drainages.

The new plan was developed by riding and scanning drainage by drainage I could cut tracks or sign. Knowing their usual path I start at the summer range and work my way toward the winter range which may cover 30-40 miles. Each day I may ride up to 20 miles.

When I cut sign, I return the following day and ride within a mile. I tie up my horse in a patch of second growth where she is protected from the weather, hunters, and hopefully predators. The last few years I have had to find areas where there is no dead trees or leaners that could fall on the horse. Then I peal off my riding clothes including chaps and prepare for a chase on foot. I work my way to where they were and pick up the trail. I work my way to where I anticipate they should be bedded. Sometimes that path might take me a few miles. When I was younger 5-7 miles was normal. As I drift past 70, 2-4 and 800ft of elevation seems to be more normal. If I don't connect then I work my way back to my pony and ride out. The plan the next day is to pick up where I left off, in what-ever drainage they are in or working their way towards. Given favorable weather, I usually make contact every 3-4 days. The elk move 4-6 miles a day if they aren't disturbed.

It's a marathon until I get elk on the ground. Once that is occomplished I often spend the rest of the season scouting new ground or going to some place that has deer. This program is not for the casual hunter or the out of shape hunter.

BKehoe05

FNG
Thanks, he actually lives alone at my place, which I know a lot of horses aren't cool with, but I've had numerous old school horse friends and vet friends who see him and say he seems totally adjusted and cool with being solo. That said, I haven't tied him for longer than a couple hours to a tree on a trail and there were some other horses around at that time.

I might have to try out some simple scouting day trips locally when I can tie him up a few hours solo while I'm glassing.

Any idea if grizzlies more likely to see them as dinner if there's just one horse?
Highline the horse then he doesn’t need to stand tied in one spot and has the ability to defend himself if necessary with a griz

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Not horses, but I hunt solo almost exclusively with my Llamas.
Tie them up, they get Tangled they lay down, no reaction to bloody meat, usually drink less than one gallon of water per day, usually no supplemental feed. But no wall tent and steaks.
I've never heard or seen any horses being attacked by griz, I have seen a llama get killed a few different times by black bears and griz. It would suck to have your pack animal get killed while on a trip.

If we were racing each other to a camp spot I'd be pretty confident betting on the horses getting there first and the rider would be fresh and ready to go hunting. I also don't have to butcher the whole elk to fit in little saddle bags. To each their own though. I would have got llamas if I didn't have a buddy educate me on the horse world.

bisblue

WKR
I've never heard or seen any horses being attacked by griz, I have seen a llama get killed a few different times by black bears and griz. It would suck to have your pack animal get killed while on a trip.

If we were racing each other to a camp spot I'd be pretty confident betting on the horses getting there first and the rider would be fresh and ready to go hunting. I also don't have to butcher the whole elk to fit in little saddle bags. To each their own though. I would have got llamas if I didn't have a buddy educate me on the horse world.
For sure, my wife comes from horses and mules, huge amount of skill required especially solo. Definitely not getting the rundown in a parking lot for two hours then heading out.

Curious where did you see Llamas get killed by black bears?

One nice thing is not having to camp on water and being able to pack it into a dry camp, but agreed, to each their own.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
For sure, my wife comes from horses and mules, huge amount of skill required especially solo. Definitely not getting the rundown in a parking lot for two hours then heading out.

Curious where did you see Llamas get killed by black bears?

One nice thing is not having to camp on water and being able to pack it into a dry camp, but agreed, to each their own.
A place outside red lodge Mt had a big boar blackie that killed a couple of their llamas over a few weeks.

I'll throw in the plug for burros too. Extremely affordable, safe, and easy keepers. Really cool history and hertiage with them in the west as well. Feels like your continuing on a tradition of the blue collar miners and explorers that prospected, hunted, and traveled all over.

If your a former backpack hunter, its a easy transition. Keep the same gear, plus a few nicities, but like llamas- usually no wall tent or steak dinner. But with how good freeze dried meals are becoming and how light gear is now, its almost a mute point.

I've done numerous solo outings with them and take them for the overnight trips, more of a pain for day trips. However we have hunted while moving camp in more open country and that has worked out alright.

Attachments

• 72654568_683796595446957_6386475373965606912_n.jpg
    72654568_683796595446957_6386475373965606912_n.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 58

gabenzeke

WKR
I'll throw in the plug for burros too. Extremely affordable, safe, and easy keepers. Really cool history and hertiage with them in the west as well. Feels like your continuing on a tradition of the blue collar miners and explorers that prospected, hunted, and traveled all over.

If your a former backpack hunter, its a easy transition. Keep the same gear, plus a few nicities, but like llamas- usually no wall tent or steak dinner. But with how good freeze dried meals are becoming and how light gear is now, its almost a mute point.

I've done numerous solo outings with them and take them for the overnight trips, more of a pain for day trips. However we have hunted while moving camp in more open country and that has worked out alright.
Where does one get burros? I see you can adopt them, but how hard are they to train? People really ride these things???

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Ride one pack one,been using this approach for 30yrs started with 2 horses didn't know jacks__t,wore them out,got 2 mules now,your gonna have a two horse trailer might as well take 2,animals do so much better when in a pair or more,they are naturally herd animals,when in camp no harder to take care of 2 than 1

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I’m training and light riding 2 two year fillys currently and I just plan to use them for packing game, and hauling in a small camp by leading them on foot. I don’t have the property or time for a large pack string. I’m just learning more about horses, by training and caring for them. I’m a rookie also.

The BLM has a burro adoption program that would be worth checking into.

Attachments

• EDEA2367-B8C3-4DCA-9A73-B1804B18473A.jpeg
    EDEA2367-B8C3-4DCA-9A73-B1804B18473A.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 16