Horse Hunting Solo

rayporter

WKR
i tied up in a drainage once and headed up the mountain to hunt. you know the drainages are about a150 yds apart and when i came back down 'the' drainage the horses were gone.

that was honestly panic. i walked to the base of a couple drainages thinking i would hear a nicker and nothing. i finally recognized my drainage and a hundred yds away they were waiting on me.

2rocky

WKR
One thing about having a horse or horses in camp is that it adds a dimension to the hunt. You now have some one depending on you, in addition to you taking care of yourself. In reality it makes being solo a little bit easier, but you do have to roll out of bed a bit earlier in the morning and plan where you are gonna camp and noon for water and grazing.

Learn how to sling meat with ropes and you will have more flexibility packing meat. Since I learned packing Deckers, I just pack 50 ft of rope while my dad does the Saddle panniers.

385927_2976539781220_985825261_n.jpg

If you pack light and put some camp gear on your back you could walk in with your horse packing saddle panniers on a riding saddle, and ride out of camp on horseback to find the elk. That might give you more range from your camp but you are gonna pack your horse lighter than you would with a dedicated pack saddle. Simply because riding saddles don't distribute weight like a pack saddle does. 120 -150 pounds would be my upper limit on a riding saddle packed. I'd pack a well slung Decker at 200# on a 1200 pound horse.

You get a bull down and bone him out you could pack 3/4 of him on your horse and you carry 50 # on your pack to the trailhead. Then ride back in and pack out your camp.

I'd figure walking in leading your horse with a pack you could be 5 miles from the end of the road and be ahead of the day hunters camped at the trailhead. The "big camp" hunters will be in 10-15 miles with horses. Then you hunt the margin between.

222058_1013689871199_3909_n.jpg

mntnguide

WKR
Horse hunting isn't for everyone.. yes they take work and need to be cared for. If you haven't spent much time in the mountains with horses it seems like a lot. But, Im one of those that love it. Every bit of it. I hunt grizzly country solo plenty, and never have issues. Last November a partner and I packed deep into the wilderness for a late season hunt and that hunt would have been entirely impossible without our 6 horses. Camp was 10 miles in, majority of elk were another 6+ miles before we got into them. Dealing with horses in freezing temps and deep snow adds a whole other aspect to caring for them, but it was worth every bit of effort. 2 years ago i used 2 to pack 14 miles in, and harvested a great bull solo. Loaded the elk on both my pack horse and saddle, top packed my camp, and carried the horns out on my back because it was nasty country and i didn't want a wreck. Once you learn the techniques to make things easier or more comfortable, it makes life pretty great in the elk woods.
2a9c6c0eb2371826874d691c87248eac.jpg
d38dc48c25a34d35abf9da0b9f790f19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Horse hunting isn't for everyone.. yes they take work and need to be cared for. If you haven't spent much time in the mountains with horses it seems like a lot. But, Im one of those that love it. Every bit of it. I hunt grizzly country solo plenty, and never have issues. Last November a partner and I packed deep into the wilderness for a late season hunt and that hunt would have been entirely impossible without our 6 horses. Camp was 10 miles in, majority of elk were another 6+ miles before we got into them. Dealing with horses in freezing temps and deep snow adds a whole other aspect to caring for them, but it was worth every bit of effort. 2 years ago i used 2 to pack 14 miles in, and harvested a great bull solo. Loaded the elk on both my pack horse and saddle, top packed my camp, and carried the horns out on my back because it was nasty country and i didn't want a wreck. Once you learn the techniques to make things easier or more comfortable, it makes life pretty great in the elk woods.
2a9c6c0eb2371826874d691c87248eac.jpg
d38dc48c25a34d35abf9da0b9f790f19.jpg

Nice bulls! Nice to see you took the time to set up your camera for a picture, I hunt solo a lot and it took a few years before I would try and get pics with the timer. How'd that horses back hold up with that rack on it, looks like that sticks riding on his spine?

mntnguide

WKR
Nice bulls! Nice to see you took the time to set up your camera for a picture, I hunt solo a lot and it took a few years before I would try and get pics with the timer. How'd that horses back hold up with that rack on it, looks like that sticks riding on his spine?
Changed it a couple times till it rode well and on the blanket. That was initial load with no adjustment. Yes..ive taken more time to try pictures over these past 2 years. I spent 9 years guiding and have zero pictures of the Frank church and all my time there.. so i try to capture stuff now if i can

rayporter

WKR
well i dont have many pictures either but i like yours just as much.

it funny how you get so busy and worried about getting it on right and no pics.

2rocky

WKR
I'm trying to put together an equipment list for a single horse pack trip. Anyone got one handy so I don't reinvent the wheel?

MTElk1987

FNG
I go alone with stock pretty regularly and have done so for quite some time. My gear is pretty well dialed in at this point and I can get away with one rider and one pack horse if It’s not too cold. When the snow starts to pile up I’ll take two pack horses so I have a small wall tent and stove, plus I’ll pack pellets for the stock. It just takes practice and time to develop confidence in not only your animals but more importantly yourself. Once you develop that confidence and trust, the world is yours!

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
We have one Appaloosa cross that we have been riding/training for over a year now, but she needs more miles and she is my daughters horse so I really don’t want to use her for hunting. I’m looking for a good seasoned trail horse like a draft cross for hunting, trail rides, running cat dogs, etc. I plan to eventually get there by next year, but I need more time in the mountains. I do enjoy the work/time of horses, but just need more confidence in the woods with horses. Nice pictures up aboveF1C49C66-6BB9-477F-B1D0-21E2B9569BD4.jpeg

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hunt with hounds and have the Garmin Alpha 100 tracking system. I put a spare tracking collar on the saddle so if the horse pulls back and breaks free, I will still be able to find it. Additionally, I always know where I left my horse.
That is a solid idea. Missing horses in the backcountry can be less than ideal, especially if its the only one you have with you ;)

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Do many of you guys just base camp and ride from camp or trailer horses to nearby trailhead and ride in before daybreak and day hunt. It seems like a easier way to start out. If a person got a elk or deer they could barrel hitch the back half the first trip. Most of my spots are only 2/3 miles in from the truck

Do many of you guys just base camp and ride from camp or trailer horses to nearby trailhead and ride in before daybreak and day hunt. It seems like a easier way to start out. If a person got a elk or deer they could barrel hitch the back half the first trip. Most of my spots are only 2/3 miles in from the truck
The answer to that question kind of depends on proximity to home for me and the trip I want to do. Close to home day trips, yeah, riding from the trailhead isn't a bad way to go. My preference for hunting multiple days in a row would to pack in a couple miles further than guys can pack animals out on their own backs, and hunt/ride from a base camp.

WCB

WKR
I don't think it has been mentioned....Make sure your horse is ok with elk and not only Girz. Once you kill an elk is not the time to find out your horse doesn't like the smell of elk, blood, or the sight of a bloody cut up animal. Had a mule that was a packing machine and as long as the quarters were covered when you came up to the kill site she was fine.

You know your stock better than anyone...and as long as you are realistic about it unlike some people are with their kids, you should be fine.

I have never really seen an issue hunting with horses (quality horses I should say).

I know this is an old thread but I'd like chip in. I remember in 1975 that two of us rode from out of New Meadows to the fork above Riggens and back through the Seven Devils with just a pack horse and moved camp every night.

I have put in camps over 20 years but at some point I ran out of hunting partners and kids. For the last 35 years I hunt a differant drainage or two every day. Many loops are 10 to 15 miles. Simply I move with the elk over an area about 60 miles east west.

When I kill one I have two choices. If it is around noon I string the elk up on a cross pole and split the elk to the third ribs from the hind quarter. Then I pull off the hind quarters and then do the same with the front. I hang the front quarters on the pole. I leave a piece of clothing and that will usually by me a day. A little flagging and some limbs keep the birds at bay.

I carry 25 ft of 1/2 inch hemp on the saddle. I place a quarter in the seat and tye the rib section to the horn. I get the second quarter and put it up on top and tie the other just below the pommel. I then go take the rope end back to the achilles tendons and tie them together with enough slack to allow them to fit just under the cantle. I push them off on either side of the saddle and adjust for fit.

I take the rope end back to the horn and secure with a half hitch. I then run it through the stirrups and tie them together on top. This acts the same as a lash cinch and secures the load. I lead the horse back to the truck and depending on the time and my strength, I ride back for the other half.

If it is late in the day, I ride out and return the next day with more stock.

Deer are tougher. I usually load them whole and snug them up to the saddle through the numerous rings I have on it. On big bucks the balance is something to pay attention to. That and keeping the horns from chewing on your steed.

If you exude confidence your pony won't usually question what you are doing. It has worked for over 50 elk.

I'm sorry but I didn't address the front quarters. Similar to the hind quarters, I cut a hole in the ribs, two ribs down. I braid my own hemp ropes with a loop in one end. I run the rope through the hole and then the other end through the loop. I put the quarter in the saddle seat, leg back, hair down. I bring the other quarter over to the other side of the horse and run the rope through the hole (hair side) and then back to the horn. I try to get the two quarters about 6-8 inches apart. I then push the first one over the side and try to get them under the cantle in the back. A couple of half hitches and then through the stirrups tie them together on top. You will have some slack so snug it up and tie it off.

When I get the quarters back to the barn, I hang them up by pairs, skin them and trim the bloodshot and fat off. Then I wash down the quarters with a hot wet rag to clean up the last of the hair and odds and ends. Then I dry the quarters off with towels and wrap them in sheets. Then I hang the quarters in the shop and in most cases they are frozen by morning since I live in the "permafrost" region of Montana.

bisblue

WKR
Not horses, but I hunt solo almost exclusively with my Llamas.
Tie them up, they get Tangled they lay down, no reaction to bloody meat, usually drink less than one gallon of water per day, usually no supplemental feed. But no wall tent and steaks.