Horse it or not?

Mike 338

WKR
Hello, new here.

For you solo horse packers, do you like to tie up to a high line or use a portable coral?

Drelk

FNG
Mike. I use a hiline. I feel I can keep the animals apart from one another and decrease the chance of injury. I've had horses go thru those tape corrals. Just my opinion

a3dhunter

WKR
Had my first hunt with horses this year and plan to have many more.

The only problem I have is when I rent one they always put me on a Clydesdale looking horse that I have to find a stump or rock to even get in the saddle, and my horse easily outweighs the rest by several hundred pounds. Not to mention his stride when packing out will make me jog to stay in front of him(for 4-5 miles packing out elk). When I walk up there is no doubt which horse is mine.....

Had my first hunt with horses this year and plan to have many more.

The only problem I have is when I rent one they always put me on a Clydesdale looking horse that I have to find a stump or rock to even get in the saddle, and my horse easily outweighs the rest by several hundred pounds. Not to mention his stride when packing out will make me jog to stay in front of him(for 4-5 miles packing out elk). When I walk up there is no doubt which horse is mine.....

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you over 220lbs? I know we always had a few select horses for the bigger clients. Easier on the horses and they are employed athletes. Don't want to match 'em up with too much weight.

If not, well then thats tough luck! Most outfitters should be able to fit you with a smaller horse at your request.

Mike