Horseback riding at RMNP

DanimalW

WKR
Taking the family on a trip to visit family in CO and then taking some time to see RMNP. I haven’t been there since I was a little kid. I remember going on a cool horseback ride there when I was young. My 6 YO daughter loves horses. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to take her for a great ride? Seems like there are a lot of different stables and trail options. Would mostly like to take the most scenic ride possible (I’m sure they all are pretty good there). Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thanks

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We went here a couple times, they have many options depending on the rider’s experience and length of ride desired. This was about five years ago so things may have changed but they they were hands down a better outfit than the other three places we went.
Cowpoke Corner Corral
(970) 586-5890

OP
DanimalW

DanimalW

WKR
We went here a couple times, they have many options depending on the rider’s experience and length of ride desired. This was about five years ago so things may have changed but they they were hands down a better outfit than the other three places we went.
Cowpoke Corner Corral
(970) 586-5890
Thanks for the response. I did look at them online. I liked that they offered stuff for little ones. Figured one of us will do something with our 3YO, and one of us will take a ride with our 6YO. Why did you feel this place was a better outfit than the others?

Phaseolus

WKR
Don’t forget to make reservations if you want to get in the Park itself. You could still get in early in the morning or late afternoon without them Last year. We though we’d go home to the west slope by driving over Trailridge last summer. No can do. Anymore.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the response. I did look at them online. I liked that they offered stuff for little ones. Figured one of us will do something with our 3YO, and one of us will take a ride with our 6YO. Why did you feel this place was a better outfit than the others?
Just a more professional vibe and everyone was into their job, not just there for a paycheck. Also very knowledgeable especially with kids, think mine were 4&7 the first time we were there and it was everyone’s first time.

I don’t remember the name but another local outfit that advertised rides in the park so we tried them out. First impression wasn’t great as we drove in. Staff was sitting around in a barn playing cards smoking and drinking and they seemed surprised at us even though we had reservations. I’m not a snob with smoking and drinking but when there’s a cloud in the barn that you walk through to get to the office it’s a bad way to operate. Also unlike the first place the horses were not great. Didn’t seem accustomed to the altitude (first place takes great care and training) and a little tired. There wasn’t a lot of horses either which tells me they’re likely to be overworked (not the case with the first place). Oh our guide was good and sober but the trail into the park was an old burn, not very scenic and the sun was brutal on us.