Horseback wilderness mule deer hunt outfitter

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted elk and moose with guides but never mule deer.

Can someone recommend an outfitter that would do a pack in wilderness style hunt ?

I don’t want to shoot one in a field .

Preferably a state with otc tags. I’m not looking for a monster , I’m more concerned with the experience of the hunt and a decent buck to bring home.
Thank you

Based on that criteria, you are more or less limited to Idaho, Montana, and California. Of those three, Idaho has arguably better quality of bucks in the OTC units than Montana but is incredibly difficult to buy a permit if you're a non-resident. Montana is probably your better bet for getting a tag and not having to wait in line 4 hours early to get a tag. I'd check with Cody Carr or SNS for reasonable hunts in Montana that may/may not require points.

Having hunted Mule Deer in California, I would not pay for an outfitted hunt on public land in a California OTC unit.

OP
PorterNY

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your reply… I have been researching Idaho a lot, but I will also check Montana out.

Montana isn't otc. Also there has been enough negative on the net about Cody Carr to make it an easy decision to use a different outfitter.

I know you want otc but that is almost impossible unless you go to WA or CA.

What weapon type?

OP
PorterNY

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you guys heard of Caleb Viano of Wilderness Mule Deer hunting in Idaho?
I found his sight and spoke to him on the phone a few months ago. But haven’t checked about references yet

V-TRAIN

WKR
do a google search for the outfitter and in the search include the word "forum" it will pull up everything out there on multiple hunting forms. it is quick and easy to find info that way.

There are some outfitters in western montana that do horseback mule deer hunts. Quite a few in BC as well during the September season.

PorterNY- I’ve hunted MT every year of my life. I moved to ID and lived there for several years as well. My family has had lifetime hunting licenses since 2005. We hunt ID for mule deer as often as possible. I’ve hunted Hells Canyon, Salmon, S ID and N Central ID. If you want my opinion about a “backcountry” guided trip to Central ID vs. W MT… I would pick Idaho every single time. Numbers, quality, terrain, style of hunting in general, no griz, weather, etc.

Someone else could try swaying you to the Bob or other places in MT. But I would only dump a bunch of $ into a guided hunt in MT if it was on private around White Sulphur or SE MT. Period.

That’s my take, but listen and verify info that you receive from others as well as myself. Good luck