Horseman/packers help needed

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
So me and brother decided on a Wyoming cow hunt we have enough points to draw a bull in. Basically want to learn it and see if it’s all it’s cracked up to be.
The issue is my nephew really wants to go but is unable to walk cause he has cerebral palsy. He’s 14 now and we’ve taking him along his entire life to let him be one of the boys. Except he’s to damn big now to be carrying on our backs any longer. Best kid in the world so we won’t tell him no on this one since he loves hunting so much and it runs in the family.
Was initially thinking of taking the SxS but that still limits the hunt greatly for him. So instead my plan is taking my 12yr old gelding who is an amazing family and trail horse. Basically loading him up each day and heading wherever we need to go.
I really want this to work out but won’t sacrifice his safety. So has anyone here done something along this line? Did you use a regular trail saddle or is there any other options for riding saddles that are more supportive of handicap people? This trip would make his world, any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
In 2018 I did the Cody to Turpin Thorofare trip. 85 miles. On young man on the trip had cerebral palsy and did the whole ride. He got tired bot otherwise there were no issues. If your nephew can get on and off it shouldn’t be a problem. He used a regular riding saddle. BUT I would make sure your horse is up for mountain country and will be safe.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
In 2018 I did the Cody to Turpin Thorofare trip. 85 miles. On young man on the trip had cerebral palsy and did the whole ride. He got tired bot otherwise there were no issues. If your nephew can get on and off it shouldn’t be a problem. He used a regular riding saddle. BUT I would make sure your horse is up for mountain country and will be safe.

The horse is an incredible ranch trail horse, you could have a pile of horses spook and he will just stand there looking at them all like idiots. I’ll put him thru afew more big trips this summer in thru the golden trout wilderness from 7k-10k elevation so he’s in shape.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider

But my nephew can not get on and off, will need assistance, confined to a wheel chair.

Hoot

WKR
I’d call around to equine therapy places and get their input. My friends son is mostly confined to a wheel chair, non-communicative, and after some of his brain surgeries he did some sessions with horses, if they got him on a horse I’m sure they’ll be able to point you in the right direction...

I am an outfitter, I have done trail rides for all kinds of people (MS, single and double leg amputees, and special needs). The biggest issue I see is him being able to sit the horse. If he can sit on the horse alone without support that will help. You need to remember, even the best horse has it’s moments. IF an accident happened on the mountain, how are you going to handle it? Next, I have had clients come in who ride 3-4 hours a day 3-4 times a week at therapeutic riding in an arena, sometimes they can’t last 2 hours on mountain trail rides. So if you’re 3 hours from camp out hunting and he can’t go anymore what is your plan to get him back? That is 3 hours back of putting him through stress and pain.

Now I’m not saying don’t do it, just trying to give some help for things some don’t always think of.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
I am an outfitter, I have done trail rides for all kinds of people (MS, single and double leg amputees, and special needs). The biggest issue I see is him being able to sit the horse. If he can sit on the horse alone without support that will help. You need to remember, even the best horse has it’s moments. IF an accident happened on the mountain, how are you going to handle it? Next, I have had clients come in who ride 3-4 hours a day 3-4 times a week at therapeutic riding in an arena, sometimes they can’t last 2 hours on mountain trail rides. So if you’re 3 hours from camp out hunting and he can’t go anymore what is your plan to get him back? That is 3 hours back of putting him through stress and pain.

Now I’m not saying don’t do it, just trying to give some help for things some don’t always think of.

Yeah it sounds like I should take him on one of our high mountain trips for a test run.

Do you think renting a solid mule might be a safer route?

I don’t think the animal is going to make any difference safety wise or how long he can ride. Both are animals, things can happen. Some say mules are more comfortable to ride. Some say depends on the horse or mule for comfortability. But regardless this is coming down to him.

DanimalW

WKR
Sounds like you guys are a good uncle and father. If he gets fatigued, you can always take turns solo hunting, while the other spends time with the youngster glassing or hanging out in camp.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you guys are a good uncle and father. If he gets fatigued, you can always take turns solo hunting, while the other spends time with the youngster glassing or hanging out in camp.

Thankyou,This is his first buck last year. Made possible by Jim and Cody at dream keeper foundation.
ee4b3019be078a6f11754d2da5e3f7bc.jpg

bnsafe

WKR
I have no insight here but would like to tip my cap to all of you for being upstanding men. Well done gentlman, well done.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Can you get him a bunch of saddle time this summer and help get him ready?

Definitely gonna have him on the saddle as much as possible, my main concern was if there was a preferred type of saddle, I have plenty of trail saddles and bags, just not one that is tailored toward a mobility challenged kid.

GotDraw?

WKR
Yeah it sounds like I should take him on one of our high mountain trips for a test run.

Agreed, take him out a couple days.

This will allow him to assess his own ability, have fun in the mtns but bow out if needed on the hunt. He may handle day one, but can he handle 4, 5, 6...?

Get him some padded cycling compression shorts for under his jeans. That way, no chaffing.

JL