Hot barrel? no prob!

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
This is an older article on the Sauer 101 which is now replaced with the screwed on bbl 100 model. Pretty amazing that it holds poa when smokin hot. I would not hesitate to say that this rifle could be the affordable sleeper most dont know about. Its black on blue and looks like the rest. They make them in ceracote and camo also for US market. Not too heavy not too light.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/an-inside-look-at-the-sauer-101/272990

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is an older article on the Sauer 101 which is now replaced with the screwed on bbl 100 model. Pretty amazing that it holds poa when smokin hot.

The Sauer 100 is a very good rifle, but any properly built rifle will maintain POI with a hot barrel.

OP
T

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
That, I am not too sure of mainly because, most of us, myself included, have never abused our hunting rifles to get to that point of 'super hot' on a bench or shooting varmints.
I can say that I sold my last very good hunting rifle because the poi would change from the poa after about a dozen consecutive shots. It was a 4000$ H-S precision in 6.5k with a contour similar to the referenced Sauer ( assuming this by overall weight).
In the article, which I have no reason to doubt, the author notes that even when super hot the poi did not change significantly from the poa. If so then this Sauer model is priced as a common 'rack gun' but shoots like a top tier gun. Its definitely a brand to look at for those not afraid to own something their friends dont own.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That, I am not too sure of mainly because, most of us, myself included, have never abused our hunting rifles to get to that point of 'super hot' on a bench or shooting varmints.

Well, shoot more.

There’s nothing special about a properly stress relieved barrel anymore. The Europeans and Scandinavians have been doing it for considerably longer than American companies however. Tikka and Sako, Blaser, Merkel, etc. and any number of aftermarket barrel makers all produce barrels that do not walk or shift with heat. Those same Euro and Scandinavian companies in general, also produce rifles that are more reliable and durable than American companies.

The Sauer 100 is a very good rifle, but it’s ability to maintain and static zero through heat is shared by others.

OP
T

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
No argument there. My point is the composite stock Sauer is more at the overall build level of a new Sako, if not better, but priced like a Tikka and without ejection of mag issues of some Sakos.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
No argument there. My point is the composite stock Sauer is more at the overall build level of a new Sako, if not better, but priced like a Tikka and without ejection of mag issues of some Sakos.

That is true. The 100 is a very overlooked rifle. Some things it does “better” than a Tikka- stock design and flush magazine if that’s your preference. Some things the Tikka is better in- integral rail, magazine feeding (single stack, singe feed), ability to take AI mags if that’s your preference, known trigger reliability in ice, snow, and debris.

I prefer the trigger feel in the Sauer, the stock design (negative comb and drop at heel) is better for shooting, it cycles smoothly and without binding about equal to a T3, precision has been same/same between them, to me the safeties are a wash, bedding is different in both but both work. Flush fit 5 round mag is good in the 100, but I actually prefer the stock T3 mags.

OP
T

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
Well sounds like you pay attention to details! I havent swapped out rifles since the Tikka revolution started. But I did check one out briefly at Cabelas the other day, Appeared to be great value for the buck. The one thing I remember was the safety lever was 'wobbly' and not positive. No particular reason but safetys bug me. I remember selling my M77 back in the 70's because the safety was springy, loose and I could pull it up and away from the receiver.. I have a 30 yr old Sauer 200 270win with field grade wood coming my way that I found in an obscure spot that has been in a safe since it was taken out of the box. unfired. It has a unique safety and I asked Sauer why they discontinued it after 10 yrs and they said no reason other than to change things out for the new model. Of course ANY safety is better than the 700 one! I hope this 200 series sauer shoots like the new 100! It looks like it dosent have as much negative comb as the new ones but hard to tell in the pic.1EEC8824-B2E1-4DD5-BB5E-DD040120F7AF.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Some older sako 85s had some shell extraction issues due to the extraction angle causing empty shells hitting on some scopes and bouncing back into the top of the mag. It was overhyped by some guys on the internet a while back in the magnum chamberings. I believe it was somewhere in the neighborhood of less than 15% of all Sako 85s last I heard from Sako. The predecessor 75s never had that issue and the A7s and S20s don’t have it either.

The mag itself was never an issue. They are actually fantastic and reliable stainless flush mount mags that perform really well in the elements. I don’t like that you have to press up on them to engage the release button but some guys like that for in field use cases.

I’ve owned I think 5 Sako 85s now and probably another 10 Sakos before the 85s. One out of the 5 85s only 1 had an extraction issue due to the rifle and scope combination. My Sako 85 Carbonlight in .260 was probably my favorite rifle of all time. Regret selling it even though I sold it for more than the purchase price.

OP
T

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
Well a 15% malfunction rate is not acceptable in a top rack firearm. 0% is the norm. And esp in magnums used for hunting things that can hunt you back. But atleast they fixed it! I have an Anschutz 1416 .22 field gun with no factory sights. It ejected 1 out of 5 straight up into the scope! I sent the bolt back to them and they tweaked the ejector to not do that. Seems like they should have also solved this before boxing and selling for big bucks but a squirrel wont attack me back on a jam!

ps a friend was in africa with a sako and the mag kept falling out. Cant remember which one but it was a beretta era one.