hot pack canning-anyone grill or smoke their meat cubes to add flavor?

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
I tried my first attempt at canning venison before my fall hunts this year. We used some of my wifes WY antelope that was a little rutty and it turned out fantastic. It was actually better than just pulling a package of the same buck meat out of the freezer and eating it. The pint jars made perfect quick meals in hunting camp for 2. While they looked a little iffy, the taste was great. We used the hot pack method and packed the cubes with beef broth. We tried it with roasts that we cubed up, some tenderized round steak, and even some burger. The tenderized and burger got a little soft, but are still great tasting.

I was wondering if you could grill or smoke the cubes to add a little different flavor. Next batch I'm going to try canning some sliced meat too and try to make some philly's and see how that turns out. Has anyone tried to smoke or grill the cubes first instead of pan frying?

MThuntr

WKR
I'm curious also because I can't see why it wouldn't work. I've been told that when canning smoked fish that you don't actually want to take the fish too cooked and you don't want to overdo the smoke. I'm assuming the same would be held for red meat.

I've patted the lightly seasoned cubes with flour, tossed in a hot pan with just enough oil to cover the bottom, to brown it up a bit. Not trying to cook it here, just brown it on the edges so it don't look like boiled meat. It adds a little texture, something visually and to the flavor. Fill mason jars 3/4 full with meat, some raw onion and whatever, then a broth over the top.

For those not familiar, this must be done in a pressure cooker.

Clarence

WKR
Flavors can become more pronounced when canning anything, and then having it on the shelf. Start subtle and see how you like it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

bmola

FNG
I know this is an old thread but has anyone tried it yet? I usually add a dash of salt or pepper in with mine and cold pack it then can. I leave connective tissues on the meat and even silver skin, it seems to have a more flavorful stock when the process is complete.

rayporter

WKR
a bullion cube and a dash of canning salt and a half tsp of cavendars is a good one. sometimes we add a tsp of liquid smoke with it. if you like cavendars you could up it some.

recently we have tried high mountain seasonings and they add good flavor. it takes at least 3 tbl spoons in a quart.

bar b que sauce and soy sauce have not worked well because it takes a lot of it to get flavor.

just so you know, the flavors settle to the bottom. if you have quarts the top will be mild while the bottom will be strong. you could try storing upside down to help this.

edit
one of the best things about canning is the fact you dont have to take a lot of time cleaning connective tissues off. it mostly disappears.

yes, you could brown or grill the meat first. You can also add a clove of garlic, slice of onion or other flavorings as well. No need to add any liquid (you can if desired), as the meat will make some during the pressure cooking process.