Hot spots on the balls of my feet. Solution??

tdot

WKR
Been using the same pair of boots for the winter, same socks, fit is great, probably the best fitting boot I've ever had. I've put hundreds of miles without a single blister and only a few hotspots in the early days.

About a month ago I started developing hotspots on the balls of my feet, just behind my big toe. Both feet within a day or two of each other. I hadn't changed anything in my gear, same load, same socks, same boots, even the same routes. Similar weather to what I've seen previously, maybe a few degrees warmer.

Since then I've tried different socks and different liner sock both in wool and synthetic. Tried different lacing pressure. I tried Leukotape, but wore it off within a couple hours, it felt good while it lasted.

I'm at a bit of a loss here and I have a sheep hunt coming up Aug 1, so time is running short to keep trouble shooting.

Suggestions on either what may have caused it or possible solutions?

Did you look over the boots and insoles for possible damage? Maybe a slight split on sole of each boot where the shank ends? Perhaps a "ripple" has formed on the underside of each of the insoles? Could the boots have been left near a radiator or other heat source that caused additional curvature of the sole near the toe?

Catahoula

WKR
It’s possible that if you have hundreds of kilometers on the said boots that they are broke down, worn out. It is possible that a worn out shoe/boot is past its prime and will cause foot issues because the support they once gave you no longer exists. Just my thought.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Like others, think your insoles are broken down, if not the whole boot, new insoles I believe is your only option for saving the boots with a comfort level, had a old pair of Danner's years back , got to where the balls of my feet felt like they were on fire, new insoles was the cure. Good luck...
Mike

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Like everyone else has said, new insoles or new boots.

You can try something like Body Glide on your feet, it might help.

TBHasler

WKR
I would agree with the comments above about insoles being older or broken down. I wear two (overlapping) strips of Luekotape across the balls of my feet as preventive measures when I hike long or under heavier weight - my tape never comes off.
Sounds like you’ve got a lot of movement and/or slippage for appropriately applied Leukotape to come off.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
If you cant find a fix it, it could be neuropathy. I have nerve damage and sometimes I get hot spots in my feet and legs. Somtimes its pain. Sometimes its numb spots.

Just something to think about if adjusting you shoe doesnt help.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know if my problems were hotspots or just my insoles in my boots breaking down, but I gave Lathrop and Sons a call and got a custom set of insoles from them and solved my problems. I got a lot of soreness on the balls and these insoles solved my problem and dramatically decreased the soreness I was having. A lot of people do Superfeet and I’m having my hunting partner is doing Sheepfeet because he’s had a similar problem to you.

Yep thoughts on Leukotape:

it is designed to be applied fully stretched to lock in tension or looser so that it can flex and move. Try both to see if it helps it stay in place. If you’re applying it without pulling out all of the elasticity, you may be able to wrap up the sides of your feet for better holding power.

Also, clean your feet and use tincture of benzoin. It’s messy but it will really help things stick. I have a running partner than uses it and can keep her tape in place all day, through multiple wet feet stream crossings and lots of up/down miles.

Edit: one additionsl trick is to precut the tape and use scissors to round the corners before pulling the backing and applying. This will help the corners staydown when under tension and ultimately help keep the tape from rolling away.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Usually that type of aggravation on the balls of your feet is from your foot sliding around a bit. My guess is that your boot has widened some as it’s broken in. You need to soak up some volume with thicker insoles or aftermarket inserts.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions. Boots look good, no damage, never been near heat. I just pulled the soles on my boots and at first they looked fine, similar to a month ago when I last looked at them. But after looking at them for a minute I noticed they were heavily compressed in the areas of my feet that are irritated. They are Sole brand insoles, and I think the arch support has started to collapse on them, allowing my feet to pronate more then when they were new. I'm hopeful thats the problem, I've just ordered another pair as I've been much happier with the Soles vs Superfeet.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Yep thoughts on Leukotape:

it is designed to be applied fully stretched to lock in tension or looser so that it can flex and move. Try both to see if it helps it stay in place. If you’re applying it without pulling out all of the elasticity, you may be able to wrap up the sides of your feet for better holding power.

Also, clean your feet and use tincture of benzoin. It’s messy but it will really help things stick. I have a running partner than uses it and can keep her tape in place all day, through multiple wet feet stream crossings and lots of up/down miles.

Edit: one additionsl trick is to precut the tape and use scissors to round the corners before pulling the backing and applying. This will help the corners staydown when under tension and ultimately help keep the tape from rolling away.

I was only applying a small 1.25" circle of precut Leukotape that I had in my dayhike medkit. It is the non stretchy Leukotape. Would you suggest the stretchy Leukotape? Either way I'll try a long strip and apply it at home before I leave on tomorrow's training hike.

I'll have to look into the Tincture of Benzoin, it doesn't appear easily available here in Canada, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks!

wapitibob

WKR
I don’t know if my problems were hotspots or just my insoles in my boots breaking down, but I gave Lathrop and Sons a call and got a custom set of insoles from them and solved my problems. I got a lot of soreness on the balls and these insoles solved my problem and dramatically decreased the soreness I was having. A lot of people do Superfeet and I’m having my hunting partner is doing Sheepfeet because he’s had a similar problem to you.

I was going to suggest Lathrop synergy insoles. Hard/slick insoles like Sole or Superfeet can let your foot slide a bit and create hot spots.

I was only applying a small 1.25" circle of precut Leukotape that I had in my dayhike medkit. It is the non stretchy Leukotape. Would you suggest the stretchy Leukotape? Either way I'll try a long strip and apply it at home before I leave on tomorrow's training hike.

I'll have to look into the Tincture of Benzoin, it doesn't appear easily available here in Canada, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks!
Now I’m not certain.

My run partner and I carry kinesiotape (KT Tape) which does have stretch. I had thought Leukotape was the same by a different name, but they may be different.
If you cut out a square and pull it in different directions it should be obvious. You can see visual banding in the KT tape along the direction of stretch. That stretch can be important when taping injuries; for blisters it seems mostly hit or miss depending on how the specific location flexes or whether blood flow gets restricted (eg your toes).

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Now I’m not certain.

My run partner and I carry kinesiotape (KT Tape) which does have stretch. I had thought Leukotape was the same by a different name, but they may be different.
If you cut out a square and pull it in different directions it should be obvious. You can see visual banding in the KT tape along the direction of stretch. That stretch can be important when taping injuries; for blisters it seems mostly hit or miss depending on how the specific location flexes or whether blood flow gets restricted (eg your toes).

Leukotape also comes in a stretch form. Maybe I'll try some of that as well. Thanks

EastMT

WKR
I have small feet for my size (6.5”, size 11 narrow) so the pounds per sq inch on my feet are a bit extra. I’ve had hot spots no matter the boot, sock combo. I’ve worn every boot known to man. I have some that for me perfect now, still get them.

Here’s my go to solution.

First I put down Leuko tape, around the ball of my foot and heel if going up hill all day for goats. Not too tight to cut off blood, but tight enough not to roll the edges.

Darn tough or similar with injinji toe socks under them, keeps friction to a minimum.

I change them out as needed to keep dry, as my feet sweat all the time no matter the footwear.

This is the only solution I’ve found, can hunt days on end for Goats, sheep etc this way. One day without up there and I start hurting.

I get hotspots at home (flat lander) walking on flat ground where my foot falls the exact same every time. Running a super light weight liner sock, and taping the balls of my foot helps about 75%.

In the mountains where my foot is hitting slightly different most of the time, I never notice.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I was going to suggest Lathrop synergy insoles. Hard/slick insoles like Sole or Superfeet can let your foot slide a bit and create hot spots.

I need quite alot of arch support, so had steered away from Lathrop's insoles. But I'll shoot them a message and see what they recommend. Thanks