HOT Temps & Whitetails

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry guys I was sick then school got busy I appreciate all the insight. Going to pull cards on three cameras in the morning before my 9am class hopefully its eventful, they've been up for 2-3 weeks. I'll be keeping my eye out for mast crops as mentioned and now rubs that might start popping up.

On another note I know its a bit late to find new areas to hunt but I found a few ag fields with public land surrounding them off the beaten path that I'd like to check out. In your opinions is it unethical to sit 100-200 yards off the fields edges, more specifically the 90 degree corners of the fields trying to intercept them of the way to feed?

jspradley

WKR
Sorry guys I was sick then school got busy I appreciate all the insight. Going to pull cards on three cameras in the morning before my 9am class hopefully its eventful, they've been up for 2-3 weeks. I'll be keeping my eye out for mast crops as mentioned and now rubs that might start popping up.

On another note I know its a bit late to find new areas to hunt but I found a few ag fields with public land surrounding them off the beaten path that I'd like to check out. In your opinions is it unethical to sit 100-200 yards off the fields edges, more specifically the 90 degree corners of the fields trying to intercept them of the way to feed?

It's still public land, so long as you arent trespassing in any way then go ahead.

A landowner would sure as heck put up a stand right next to the public land border if it was advantageous

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
It's still public land, so long as you arent trespassing in any way then go ahead.

A landowner would sure as heck put up a stand right next to the public land border if it was advantageous
Very true I just wanted to double check my thought process wasn't skewed. I could see a land owner not being the happiest about that even though its public land.

jspradley

WKR
Very true I just wanted to double check my thought process wasn't skewed. I could see a land owner not being the happiest about that even though its public land.

He probably won't be happy but oh well. The deer dont belong to him and so long as you are acting within the law and not doing anything to his property he'll have to get over it. His property rights end at the property line.

Unless of course your state has some law that you must be a certain distance away from private property to hunt..I'm not aware of that being the case anywhere but places differ. If so then I'd find a trail outside that boundary feeding into his fields and hunt there

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Acorns are dropping, various degrees of greenness. The acorns are dropping heavily from the time I step foot out of the truck to the cameras. I had one camera with video on showing a bunch of doe browsing at 3am that was on for 5 days then I caught a guy on camera walking towards it and magically shut off..just pleased it didn't grow legs. I rehung it further in and and away from the direction he walked is so just bungees are facing they way he walked in. Getting a little excited specifically since the pictures posted are getting used heavier.

The rub was from last year but they're scattered heavily through the area where my camera was turned off.

The second buck from 8/26 keeps reappearing but I have other pictures of similar deer I've been confusing but now realized there are multiple young bucks in the area. Not something I plan to harvest but its a pick me up. There are also plenty of doe using the area as well. Just a little update and thanks for some of the help.

122198WGI_0002.JPG

OXN939

WKR
Do remember that truly large, mature bucks in heavily hunted areas are smarter than a lot of people you run into on a daily basis, and are incredibly attuned to what is and has been in their environment. They'll see and smell game cameras, and intentionally avoid them. Where I am in VA, the only way to kill them fair chase is to stay away from your good spots until conditions are close to optimal.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Do remember that truly large, mature bucks in heavily hunted areas are smarter than a lot of people you run into on a daily basis, and are incredibly attuned to what is and has been in their environment. They'll see and smell game cameras, and intentionally avoid them. Where I am in VA, the only way to kill them fair chase is to stay away from your good spots until conditions are close to optimal.
I am by no means discouraged. I don't think these deer see much hunting pressure the guy who turned the camera off appeared to be a "squatter". I found a IL state police window stick tag for an abandoned vehicle with the same date as the camera was shut off laying crumpled up at the end of the road. Im going to pull two of the cameras and just leave one up and only plan to check it while hunting. Im excited for season to start but I dont plan to hunt this until the temperatures drop into the 50's so I have a fighting chance of scent control.