Hot tent hunting questions

Ragnüs

FNG
So I'm wanting to get a lightweight backpacking tent that also has a stove. I've been looking at the seek outside cimarron and the redcliff. I'm typically going to have 2 people and a dog but also a couple times a year will have 4 people for CO elk/deer season. Ideally I'd like to be able to have a large stove and comfortably have 2-3 people with the stove. I like the fact I could stand in the redcliff and it would be a palace for 2 people, and I'm fine with the extra weight for far more comfort. But not sure how it would compair to the cimarron in high winds or storms on ridge lines in the high country. Im pretty set on the seek outside products since I have yet to find a legit bad review of any of their products. But have any of y'all used another brand that is more affordable? I saw a few from luxe but read several reviews that it is just cheap lower quality material, any thoughts?

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Redcliff all the way for me. Configuration of 2-3 people and stove is doable easily. Two guys + stove is luxury. High winds and/or soft ground make bigger stakes worth the weight penalty.

OP
R

Ragnüs

FNG
Thanks for the insight! I figured the redcliff would be better for most of the situations, and I agree that I'd eventually need to get more then one shelter, just a bit costly. Although worth it for products to last a lifetime.

rayporter

WKR
as my fellow buckeye says, you need more than one shelter.
an 8 with a stove and 4 cozy folks will get very tight after one night. it is not too bad if you dont need the stove.

Bearsears

WKR
A properly anchored/ staked out Redcliff can handle a lot of wind. Ive had mine in some decent wind though not horrible and it was solid. If you check out the By Land podcast he has an episode with Kevin T and Emory describes one of his first trips with a Redcliff in some really horrible winds. He also has a good review of it on his website. If you are anticipating really bad Alaska type wind, I think an actual tipi design is a bit better for that.

I have been in both and I matron with 2 and a stove is snug, but doable. It’s great with 2 and no stove. Redcliff is just legit, especially if you can split with weight with 2 or 3 other guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rootacres

WKR
The SO Cimarron and Redcliff have spots to tie guy lines and use extra stakes if you'd like (or tie off to trees depending where your camp is). I took my Cimarron out in WY in a pretty exposed area with no trees to tie off to. I knew I was going to have pretty bad winds, especially on one of the nights and tried to plan for it. I set rocks over my stakes and though we saw 50 mph gusts the stakes did hold. We lost some sleep over it but it was surprising what the tent could handle.

If your mostly doing 2 guys and a stove, you may want to just do the cimmaron. Maybe have the other 2 guys get thier own tent.

The areas I hunt the most, I wouldn't want a tent with much bigger of a footprint then the cimmaron. The Redcliff is HUGE! If your familiar with your area, and maybe have a back up plan or 2 on where to set the redcliff up if someone beats you to your spot it would be great for all of you guys. I would just want to know for sure of a few options to set it up in the area I'm going.

johnnyg08

FNG
SO are great! But Nortent, Arctic Oven, and Russian Bear are worth looking at...especially if you're heading into the price point of the SO tents.

rclouse79

WKR
I like my cimmaron, but there is a definite learning curve. On my last outing it was windy and the wall next to me blew inward enough I had to move pretty close to the stove. The space gets small quick when you have a red hot glowing stove to avoid. I feel like two with gear and a stove would be tight.

johnnyg08

FNG
I like my cimmaron, but there is a definite learning curve. On my last outing it was windy and the wall next to me blew inward enough I had to move pretty close to the stove. The space gets small quick when you have a red hot glowing stove to avoid. I feel like two with gear and a stove would be tight.
Agree. I think it's easy to overestimate the size of a tent when there's no gear or stove in them.

gostovp

WKR
if you store gear outside under a separate silnylon tarp it frees up a lot of space in the Cimarron