Hot tent in the Brooks range.

Karson88

FNG
Hello, I'm considering on bringing my luxe mini peak XL to the tundra, just wondering if there is anything substantial to burn on the tundra if I bring my wood stove?

That’s like saying you’re going hunting in Arizona and asking if there’s any wood to burn. where at in the brooks? South? north? lake drop? Tundra drop? Gravel bar drop?

I’ve had days worth of willow to burn on rivers on the extreme north slope and been on lakes with virtually nothing to burn. There’s plenty of places I’ve seen caribou in early fall in the brooks range with a lifetime of wood to burn. I’ve also seen them on the most barren landscape imaginable

OP
Karson88

Karson88

FNG
Oh whoops, probably should have specified that its going to be the North brooks and we will be dropped into a body of water.

If ya wanna have heat, take the right partner.

DwGhsgOWoAAiZqT.jpg

I’ve done a bit of hunting in the Brooks, both north and south sides, and never had too much of a problem finding plenty of fuel. In many cases you’ll only find it along the bigger drainages, so if you flew into a lake, you’ll probably have to hike over to the nearest river to get wood. I’ve done that before, and we just used our pack frames to haul several large bundles over the tundra as we were about a mile from the drainage. If you’re doing a float hunt, you should have no problem finding firewood.
341edc7ce7e37f03df40f482bc5285f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the North side of the Brooks and just grabbed a few bigger pieces of dead standing willow, or driftwood for our stove as we walked about. We didn't try to run it all night, but usually just pre-loaded it for morning and let it take the chill off as we got dressed and ate breakfast. We also used a Duraflame log, one log split between two tipis for a week. We sliced it like a loaf of bread. One slice would cut the chill in the tent, or start some sort-of dry sticks burning.

mooster

WKR
we found plenty of dead brush to keep our tipi warm every night before we went to bed. this was in Noatak, flew out of Kotz. When we went out to bou hunt everyday, we made a point to collect some dead brush and packed it back with us.

IMG_1928.JPG

As mentioned above, plenty of wood up that way if you’re near a major drainage. Hit or miss otherwise. I wouldn’t depend on it, but may as well pack the stove if it’s ultralight. There’s a beautiful woman behind every tree on the Alaskan north slope.
6AF92FB4-B84B-4962-AFC7-53A9877464EA.jpeg