Hot tent is a lifestyle

This past spring I picked up a titanium box stove for my tipi. I didn’t get a chance to use it in September (even though it would have been justified) but I have used it a bunch lately hunting deer here in Kansas.

I hunt the western third of the state so the drives are long and once you get out there there aren’t too many motel options. I can be fairly frugal, would rather buy gas and tags, so I’ve just been camping no matter the weather. Last season I slept in the bed of my truck, no topper, and luckily didn’t experience any weather (except for a nasty Thanksgiving blizzard that sent me home anyway).

This year I’ve been camping at a public camping spot so I can use my hot tent. It has completely changed how I do things. I love coming back to it, firing up the stove, eating a hot dinner (like carnitas tacos cooked on the stove top), and falling asleep with a movie playing on my iPad.

As some of you might know wood can be hard to come by in western Kansas, so I bring my own. I’ve found that wood cut to fit in a Pampers diapers box is perfectly long enough for my stove, and one box’s worth is enough wood for a long weekend.

In order to keep myself in good wood I’ve since bought a chainsaw, a handy little Stihl that does the job fine. I was mostly burning branches and stuff that fell in the yard, but I’m through that now. And then I saw a giant branch that fell off a tree on the way to my son’s school, about 8” round, so I picked it up and bought a splitting maul. I love splitting wood, really fun. Way more fun than picking up leaves or hedge apples. I cut and split the wood in my backyard, then have my son load up his power wheels truck and haul it around front for me. He loves his job too.

I have my eye on a couple other downed trees off the highway that will be mine when the time comes. It’s like picking up roadkill, kinda.

Anyway, just wanted to post this to say, I thought I’d just buy a stove to keep warm sometimes, but it has evolved into other purchases and changed my behavior in ways I hadn’t predicted. It’s a lifestyle. We hot tenters need a T-shirt or something.

Agree! It is so nice to light the stove in the morning without even exiting my sleeping bag. Mornings used to be such a scramble to get ready. Now I wake up a little early even and enjoy coffee while I comfortably prepare for the day. I seem to be more mentally prepared and as a result, don't forget to put items in my pack because I'm cold and in a rush. Definite game changer for cold hunts.

Sherlock

FNG
I’ve been eyeing up some of the used gear in the classifieds. Wish it would have been so light & easy in my younger years. Gear has come a long way

Sherlock

FNG
There would be times like multiple days in a location or being weathered in. For me most the time all I want is to eat and sleep.

After a few days of low teens in the morning and the old man bitching about the cold, we drove 2 hours to find a stove for the wall tent. It changed everything! So glad we got one.

This past spring I picked up a titanium box stove for my tipi. I didn’t get a chance to use it in September (even though it would have been justified) but I have used it a bunch lately hunting deer here in Kansas.

I hunt the western third of the state so the drives are long and once you get out there there aren’t too many motel options. I can be fairly frugal, would rather buy gas and tags, so I’ve just been camping no matter the weather. Last season I slept in the bed of my truck, no topper, and luckily didn’t experience any weather (except for a nasty Thanksgiving blizzard that sent me home anyway).

This year I’ve been camping at a public camping spot so I can use my hot tent. It has completely changed how I do things. I love coming back to it, firing up the stove, eating a hot dinner (like carnitas tacos cooked on the stove top), and falling asleep with a movie playing on my iPad.

As some of you might know wood can be hard to come by in western Kansas, so I bring my own. I’ve found that wood cut to fit in a Pampers diapers box is perfectly long enough for my stove, and one box’s worth is enough wood for a long weekend.

In order to keep myself in good wood I’ve since bought a chainsaw, a handy little Stihl that does the job fine. I was mostly burning branches and stuff that fell in the yard, but I’m through that now. And then I saw a giant branch that fell off a tree on the way to my son’s school, about 8” round, so I picked it up and bought a splitting maul. I love splitting wood, really fun. Way more fun than picking up leaves or hedge apples. I cut and split the wood in my backyard, then have my son load up his power wheels truck and haul it around front for me. He loves his job too.

I have my eye on a couple other downed trees off the highway that will be mine when the time comes. It’s like picking up roadkill, kinda.

Anyway, just wanted to post this to say, I thought I’d just buy a stove to keep warm sometimes, but it has evolved into other purchases and changed my behavior in ways I hadn’t predicted. It’s a lifestyle. We hot tenters need a T-shirt or something.

ive thought about getting one to be more mobile around Kansas and Missouri. Plus use it out west

OP
Dos Perros
I got the JimmyTarps Hudson. I think it's an incredible value and you'll never get any better service than Jimmy. I run the Seek Outside Medium box stove inside it. Depending on the draw this year I might go to a Seek Outside something or other to buck the wind a little better.

Shrek

WKR
I have to agree ! I fire up my stove in my Sawtooth from my sleeping bag in the morning. The difference in my attitude is astonishing ! In the evening being able to get toasty warm when you get back to camp is another emotional lift. Boil water for dinner or coffee while the stove warms you up. Being able to get the tent downright hot and strip down and clean up with wipes. A stove in a floorless shelter is a game changer.