Hot Tent or Not for CO Archery Elk

This will be my first time hunting archery elk in CO and I'm trying to figure out my sleep system. I've always hunted 2nd season CO, or late Oct in WY or MT. I'm having trouble deciding on what tent to use. There will be two of hiking in 4-6 miles for during the 3 week of September 7 days. I've never been to CO this early and I know the weather can be unpredictable. Here are out current options:

1. Share SO Cimarron with wood stove.
2. Share SO Cimarron without the stove.
3. Solo in the Nemo Hornet

The Main questions that I have are:
1. Is it worth bring the stove? I don't expect it to be cold, but it would be nice to dry out gear if it rains. Plus I'd bring a 20 degree down bag if we had the stove. We would split the load, one guy would pack the tent and the other guy pack the stove.
2. Would we be better bring individual tents with a much smaller footprint?

I don't have much experience running the floorless shelter during warmer seasons. I've only used it when it was below freezing.

Thanks.

Jotis

WKR
I dont think a stove is worth the weight in September. I usually will have one in the truck, but seldom pack it in archery hunting

mlgc20

WKR
I will be there in early September. But, I’m not taking a stove. Really not a close call IMO for a backpacking trip. If you’re car camping, sure. I wouldn’t pack it in though.

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
First week of September we didn’t need the stove, went out 3rd week last year and we wished we had brought it.. kind of a crap shoot but I know we’ll be bringing the stove after muzzy season from now on.

OP
K
Most of the time wouldn't need it unless you know your looking at some wet weather in the forecast, then would be nice for drying things out.
Drying out gear from wet weather was the primary reason I was considering bringing it.

Bearsears

WKR
We are going the same week as you. I will be bringing both setups in the truck and then make a game time decision based on the forecast. We hunted August 31st through the 14th last year and it was completely different weather wise by the end. Those last couple of weeks in September can be very unpredictable so if you can be ready to flex either way I think that's your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Depends what you consider cold, and what you can put up with. Every single opening weekend in August that I've gone, there have been frozen puddles near camp. So that means lows below 32 degrees......in August. Oddly enough, I've had the last weekend in September with lows in the 40's many years.

Unless you're both very short, I'm not sure how you will fit two guys and a stove and wood in that Cimarron. I got one to try and after setting it up, there was no way I could make it work with two and the stove. My quilt would have melted being that close to the stove.

marktole

WKR
If there is two of you, why not take it if you are worried about it?

What's that mean for weight split between you two for the stove? 1.5-2# at the most?

I personally wouldn't be using a stove in September, but hey, small weight penalty if you think you are going to want it.

WyoBC_99

FNG
This definitely feels like a last-minute decision. Bring the stove and maybe leave it in the truck. Modern weather forecasting is not perfect one week out, but it sure is better than guessing 4 months out!

Beendare

WKR
Drying out gear from wet weather was the primary reason I was considering bringing it.
Thats the only time we fire it up.....or if its snowing. Worth having though JIC.

Keep in mind, you won't be spending a lot of time in your tent...or at least you shouldn't be- grin. I can't say I've ever heard of maguey shooting a bull in camp. I've done it on a drop caribou camp....but their brain is about the size of a pea.

______

For multi-day backpack CO elk hunting in Sept. I wouldn't bring it in. Maybe leave the stove in the truck to use at basecamp. Just make sure you bring a good 15 degree sleeping bag and pad. You'll be fine.