Hot Tent Recommendation

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some recommendations on what hot tent to get. Looking for something that can house 4 cots and a stove. Will be for October/November for western hunts as well as some winter camping in MN. After looking at dimensions and what companies call a 4 person tent it doesn’t seem feasible to fit, looks like i will need more of a 6-8 man. It doesn't matter if its full floor, or price. I figured i would ask here from some guys with real world experience. So what tent would you run or are you running? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Montana Canvas 14x17

Works perfect for 4-5 guys, plus gear, for our November elk hunt. We float in 6-7 mile and opt to use a 5 gal propane/Mr. heater for our heat source(runs 20-30 min in am/60min in the eve, lasts 10 days)

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Assume you are looking for a wall tent camping from vehicle?

Yes camping from a vehicle. Doesn’t have to be a wall tent. I’m not picky about that. Just want something that flat out works.

rayporter

WKR
wall tent or 12 man tipi. you will have a very full 8 man with cots and a stove. i have had the 8 and i went to a 6 for compact with 2 guys and 12 for the room.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
From a vehicle, ifweight isn’t a huge concern, a wall tent is awesome. We’ve left ours up for long periods of time and they are very tough. It’s a Montana Canvas relite, with canvas roof. Only downside is it’s heavy.

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Yep basically be for base camp. Just want to see what everyone has/is using and looks like wall tent is the way to go. Thanks for all the replies

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
We run 12x14 and 14x16 Davis wall tents. We’ve been running both since buying them new in 2009 and 2008, respectively. The 14x16 will be perfect for the scenario the OP describes (4 cots).
Look into Davis tent’s package deals- they’re the best deal out there. We love our Davis tents.

If money is no object, check out Arctic Oven. I used an Igloo model this year for deer hunting in MN and WI, and just used it for a grouse hunt near Grand Maria’s this past weekend.

The double wall construction seems to hold heat well with a dead air space. I have been using a vented Nu-Way propane stove intended for ice shacks. This weekend was in the teens and was able to keep the tent in consistent t-shirt temp all night for the dog. Like staying in a cabin.

The 12 model should work for 3 with cots. For 4 I would consider disco bed bunk cots.

ZDR

WKR
wall tent or 12 man tipi. you will have a very full 8 man with cots and a stove. i have had the 8 and i went to a 6 for compact with 2 guys and 12 for the room.
12 man Tipi is perfect for 4 + gear, stove & wood. Very versatile as well.