Hot tent Sleeping Bag Recommendations

I was just wondering what temperature rating is really needed for a hot tent in temps around 0 degrees F. I recently purchased a hot tent combo from Seek Outside and am trying to figure out how warm of a sleeping bag I really need with the stove burning. Obviously it will get pretty warm when the stove is burning but what about in the middle of the night when the stove isn’t burning as hot if at all? Do I need a 0 degree bag? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MThuntr

WKR
Unless you are getting up to stock the stove multiple times per night I'd probably get a bag for the conditions you're sleeping. I am using a Nemo bag I believe it's 10 degree rated. I get cold when the temps dip below 20

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I was just wondering what temperature rating is really needed for a hot tent in temps around 0 degrees F. I recently purchased a hot tent combo from Seek Outside and am trying to figure out how warm of a sleeping bag I really need with the stove burning. Obviously it will get pretty warm when the stove is burning but what about in the middle of the night when the stove isn’t burning as hot if at all? Do I need a 0 degree bag? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I just got back from a hunt in Colorado. I have a SO tipi and stove. It's either stoke the stove all night and not get jack for sleep or have a warm bag. I have a WM Bristlecone and I was toasty wearing a minimal merino top and bottom with weather in the high teens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bighorner

WKR
I've found flourless tents are colder because of the draft under the sod skirt than a traditional tent once the fire is out. Particularly if it is windy. I second the need for a bag rated for the conditions.

Moserkr

WKR
Definitely get a bag rated for the temps without considering the stove. Its not about comfort, but safety in case something happens and you only have your bag to rely upon. When I run my stove, I have slept on top of my bag cause its so hot. When the stove dies, the temps will drop quickly so either stoke it all night, or have a good bag. Even though I can sleep without my bag sometimes, it always comes along and is rated for 20*. I have pushed my gear and shelter to 0* plenty of times even though I know my bag is lacking in that range. If my shelter or stove were compromised, a 20* bag in 0* temps would become a survival situation, especially in a storm. My next bag will be a top of the line 0* or 10* bag, most likely WM.

Fitzwho

WKR
I'll be base camping out of the hot tent this weekend. Not supposed to be terribly cold where I'll be hunting, lows in the 20's. Planning on bringing a 20F down quilt and a -35F bag. Figure worst cast the big bag will make for nice padding on the cot and turn into a backup if it gets that cold in the tent (alone in an 8-man tipi).

HNTR918

WKR
I have a SO Recliff with SXL stove. I went with the Thermarest 20F Hyperion.

Anything over 30 I wear boxers and sock liners. Around 20 base layers and socks. Around 10 heavyweight base layers. 0 and under my puffy jacket and pants along with a cap and mittens.

I use a tyvek ground cloth and Thermarest xtherm pad. The pad is very important in floorless shelters.

Lowg08

WKR
I use a marmot 0 degree, on a BA insulated q-core on top and of thermo rest reflective pad. We stoked the fire 3 times the other night at 25 degrees and I had to sleep half out of my bag.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The stove will not impact which sleeping bag you'll need.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

+1

not a bit, bring the bag for expected lows (and a prudent person might bring one just a touch warmer, in case :))

enjoy the warmth of the stove in the evening and morning and the ability to dry out clothing, but when it comes to sleeping throughout the night, enjoy the warmth of your adequately lofty bag