hot tent stove question

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a medium kifaru stove and I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks to keep the fire going longer. I've messed with the damper and tried different types of wood that is available but I can't seem to get a burn longer than 30 minutes. I've seen those logs that burn for extended time frames but I have hear they burn too hot for the stoves. Any tips would be helpful, I have an elk hunt this weekend and the temps are looking to be around 5 degrees

Cheaha

FNG
I have a Seek Outside stove and it has a similar burn time. From what I have read that is about what you can expect with any of them. If you stop feeding it, it burns out. I found the trick is to have a good sleep system and get in your bag while you are nice and warm from the stove before it burns out.

6.5x284

WKR
They are too uninsulated to burn long. Depending on the rocks near by, I’ll add a layer in the bottom of the stove; and under the actual stove on the ground to absorb heat and keep some heat after the burn. They are really designed to dry off gear and condensation, get you nice and warm before bed, and nice and warm when you wake up. Your bag should do the heating while you sleep. Otherwise you are stoking every 45 min or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod7rem

FNG
Very hard to extend the burn time because it’s hard to control the air getting into these non-airtight stoves. I try to stoke the stove with the largest chunks I can fit, preferably knots, just before bed. I also use a damper on the chimney. I’ve used a folded and crinkled up slab of tinfoil to go between the stove opening and the door to try and seal it better and it helps.
My stove always flares up red hot and forces us to wake up and open up our sleeping bags, just before it fizzles and starts going cold. I thinks it’s because as the mass of wood slowly smolders down, it eventually gets small enough that the limited air flow becomes enough to support full on combustion. Get a short, red hot blaze just before cold.
Then wake up shortly after freezing cold with a sleeping bag open lol.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lite outdoors 18" cylinder stove with the baffle. It is the only stove I have experience with and have only run it a handful of times, but I've been able to get a couple hours of burn time pretty easily. The key I've found is to really burn a lot of small to medium wood to get a good hot bed of coals then load up with the biggest pieces you can. I damp down the door completely but leave the stove pipe damper open. Depending on the ambient conditions and the type of wood used, I've gotten it to burn for over 3 hours.