hot tents and cots?

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have done two full-sized cots in a Kifaru 6 Man tipi, sometimes with a third guy on a pad, but no stove. It was fine for what we were doing, but the geometry of the tipi and cot combination is not optimal for efficient use of space, though as others said it is nice to be able to sit down and you can store gear under the cot. Even for low to the ground cots or pads, it pays off to be mindful of how you pitch a tipi with the slightly higher up tie-outs pulled out to get the walls more vertical near the bottom.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
When I am alone and truck in a week worth of gear, a cot, and my reclining chair all fit comfortable in my SO 6 man teepee with the stove I keep all my gear stowed in foot lockers tucked in the "non standing room" edges which makes a nightstand for the cot and a end table for the chair or just leave them outside altogether.

S.Clancy

WKR
We use those Alps Mountaineering cots, they are small and real comfortable. That's in a cimarron or a base-tarp-base LBO setup. If it's dry, I just sleep on the cot next to the truck. I've done that down to 5F.

I used a cheap Amazon one that's 6" off the ground on a hunt this past weekend.
It was pretty cush. I could use the space underneath for storing stuff, and was elevated into the heat a little more. Used an xtherm pad on top of that. Felt spoiled.

I wouldn't backpack with it, but for just running a hot tent by the truck. It was pretty damn comfortable.

A cot doesn't take up anymore room than my Xped 9. I would argue it takes up less room because i could fold it up with ease when not in use and fold it out when ready to use it without the hassle of blowing it up. I can see many advantages. Not worrying about sticks and thorns and such poking holes amongst those advantages. I think i just talked myself into buying one. I saw where Frank and Snyder were using them before that partnership was disolved for some unknown reason........

Gman045

FNG
Sounds like the helinox cot is popular if you use a cot. Any other brand recommendations?

I own a couple of cots that I purchased on Amazon back in 2016 that are a knockoff of these Thermarest cots (https://www.thermarest.com/products/cots/mesh-cot/mesh-cot.html). I paid $37 each and would be willing to bet $20 that the parts from mine are interchangeable with the Thermarest. Unfortunately, they are no longer available, but there are other options out there. This cot (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BQFC...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1) is virtually identical to a Helinox model for 1/5th the price. I've used mine for backpacking trips with the wife and they are pretty comfortable, but I sleep fine on my pad lying on the ground, so don't take it with me when hunting.

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a BearPaw Wilderness Designs Luna 6 with a stove and a couple of Helinox cots for years. During the day when the cots aren’t used, we simple ”flipped“ them up and they were out of the way. This would allow us to use Helinox chairs and a table for more room. I also started putting rocks around my stove. This did two things for me:
1-it made sort of a safety zone for us at night so we didn’t accidentally run into the stove or push something into the stove.
2-the heated rocks held the heat for a good bit of time, keeping our shelter warm.
That rock trick is a great idea. Thanks for the tip!

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a BearPaw Wilderness Designs Luna 6 with a stove and a couple of Helinox cots for years. During the day when the cots aren’t used, we simple ”flipped“ them up and they were out of the way. This would allow us to use Helinox chairs and a table for more room. I also started putting rocks around my stove. This did two things for me:
1-it made sort of a safety zone for us at night so we didn’t accidentally run into the stove or push something into the stove.
2-the heated rocks held the heat for a good bit of time, keeping our shelter warm.
Do You just put a pile or ring around it or are you "building" something along the lines of a outdoor pizza oven? I've played around with this idea but haven't tried it yet.

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm not even that old but damn if my back and hips don't kill me if I'm not sleeping on a cot. It's mandatory for me.