Hot vs cold sleeper? How did you tell?

zacattack

WKR
I see this said all the time hot vs cold sleeper. But how do you really know? What made you think you were one or the other? I feel like some nights I can never get warm and then some my body is basically a nuclear reactor destined to heat the entire world. Just curious as to how others came to the conclusion as to which they are.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sleep in a -30 rectangular bag on multiple layers of foam on a cot in September and I'm very comfortable. How do you think I determined hot or cold sleeper? I don't generate much heat when I'm stationary, which is probably one reason why I'm rarely stationary.

I get cold in a 20 deg bag with base layers on at about 32 deg. I’m a cold sleeper.

I do notice I sleep warmer if my body is in better condition and I’m eating really well. Also hot after drinking.

FLAK

WKR
I'm a HOT sleeper, but my reg. body temp is always a degree or two below my
wife's who is a cold sleeper. Go figure.

WCB

WKR
I tell because cold doesn't really bother me sleeping... I have woke up and felt cold but I did not wake up because I was cold (usually to pee or alarm). I can not sleep when I am hot.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Turn your home thermostat down, to like 45 deg. Go to bed.

if wife wakes up cold & you are cold....cold sleeper.
wife wakes up cold, you are warm...
there ya go.

works as well if you are in the dog house too. Probably better as she's already mad at you.
Man if turned the temp down to 45 in my house my wife would make sure I didn’t wake up lol

Interesting responses, I guess I’ve always thought I was a cold sleeper because I’m cold when I get in bed, but now maybe not, most mornings warm and slightly sweating

BluMtn

WKR
Its more about circulation. If you have good circulation you are less likely to be a cold sleeper. Another thing you can do is drink a warm cup of something before you go to bed and that will help you keep your blood flowing. Also do not eat a large meal then go to bed because your body will use all its energy to digest the meal instead of helping you keep warm,

rayporter

WKR
what you eat that day does have an effect.

i need a -30 bag if it get near 20 degrees. one of my buds can pull a corner of his bag over his chest and saw logs all night in the same temps.

seriously, you must test your gear and now is the time to test sleeping bags for next year!! there is no other way to know for sure.

*zap*

WKR
If you want to camp in cold weather you need to do some acclimating @ home unless your constantly camping out a day or more every week. That's my opinion. Especially get used to sleeping in your bag on a mat on the floor or a hard surface. learn how to close that bag right up to trap your body heat and it may be good to acclimate to a tight fitting bag. Wake up in a cold environment (under 40°) and learn how to deal with it while you have coffee and get stuff ready. Do that a couple days a week for a few months and you will have no troubles camping out.

I run hot & cold which is way I sleep with an EE quilt instead of a traditional sleeping bag...althought the EE Conundrum can be a bag too.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
If you want to camp in cold weather you need to do some acclimating @ home unless your constantly camping out a day or more every week. That's my opinion. Especially get used to sleeping in your bag on a mat on the floor or a hard surface. learn how to close that bag right up to trap your body heat and it may be good to acclimate to a tight fitting bag. Wake up in a cold environment (under 40°) and learn how to deal with it while you have coffee and get stuff ready. Do that a couple days a week for a few months and you will have no troubles camping out.
Yeah my wife thinks I’m nuts for training outside in the winter, we moved from Mississippi to Michigan. I have noticed my cold tolerance is much better. My only problem is I have terrible circulation in my hands, they are almost never warm.