Hot weather sock

Looking for recommendations on a sock for covering miles in hot weather wearing 8" boots. I purchased a pair of Kenetrek Yellowstone, Darn Tough Coolmax and Drake Ultra dry socks to try. The darn tough are too hot above 65°, the Kenetrek and Drake socks seem to be good up to about 70-75° but im still craving something cooler. Suggestions?

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
I'll be interested to follow the responses. I like Darn Tough wool more than the Cool Max in any conditions.

Rob5589

WKR
What boot are you wearing? That may be a bigger part of your problem than the sock.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always wear my polypropylene liner socks under merino wool socks if I'm hunting regardless of the temps. All that changes is the thickness of the merino socks. I normally wear Smartwool Classics from summer through archery elk season.

My feet run hot so long as I'm not sitting still. I work construction, a lot of it on concrete. It's hot in the summer. The best thing I've found for me in the heat is a thin synthetic sock. I change them out mid day too. I use AND1 socks you buy at walmart, 12 for $10. I wear all 12 pair throughout the spring, summer and fall. I throw them away come winter when I switch to wool. The socks are usually still fine but it's nice to start with a fresh batch each spring.

I tried thin wool in the summer. Definitely not for me.

Zappaman

WKR
Wool year round if really packing in the miles IN BOOTS. Coleman's Military Surplus sells a nice italian surplus (thinner) wool sock that I'll use in any weather. I'll add a liner to it in spring/fall when I typically do more miles in boots (which I rarely wear between May and September).

But when I take the trips to the mountains in summer to fly fish, or just hike a lot in general, I take a lower top boot and definitely go wool (with or without a liner... depending on how long I'll be going- longer runs get a thin poly sock liner to keep blisters down and help more moisture away from my feet through the right boot).

At home in Kansas for fishing/foraying/light work outdoors, I use a short boot (below ankle) and wool/cotton "hiking" sock (tall) when over 90 degrees. Cotton sweats in boots at ALL temps, but only if it can't breath. So at least a blend is good for me so it can wick moisture away instead of locking it in. 100% wool in HOT summer in a light hiker is fine too, as long as the boot is breathing (not a leather Gortex job) some cotton is fine when you get to those temps.

In any case... I'd hate to have to wear steel toed boots for working in Arizona during summers for sure!