Hotdog hot melt

Button

WKR
Does anyone hot melt their HIT’s?
I did it on a dozen, so far so good shooting into my rineheart target for the last month.

Why does the Easton hit tool not insert the hit as deep as screwing a field point to the hit?

I inserted the hits using a field point that I rubbed some wax on so the hotmelt didn’t stick to it. Worked great.

MattB

WKR
Yes, but I also use an IW TI collar.

The Easton tool likely sets for a more generic or even ATA spec depth. No reason to believe a field point is the right depth and the HIT tool depth isn't.

GWHunter

FNG
I did the last dozen Axis arrows with brass HIT's and hotmelt there have held up fine. I used field points like you did so that I wouldn't melt the HIT tool. The problem I ran into was on three arrows the field points screwed in perfect and tight, but my broadhead's would not thread into them. The shaft on the broadhead was too short to reach the insert. I ended up cutting off about 1/4" of shaft ahead the the insert and only using those arrows for possible squirrel, turkey or coyote, or other critters of opportunity.

ShakeDown

WKR
Re: insert seating depth. If you don’t remove the nock pressure can sometimes force the insert to migrate forward.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve used hot melt for years. Never had one pull out. Love being able to hear and remove.

Kenai

WKR
I used hot melt with iron will hit inserts like they show on their video. I just keep them as one unit (broad heads and field points) when installing and haven’t had any issues.

You can remove them with a quick dip into some boiling water.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why does the Easton hit tool not insert the hit as deep as screwing a field point to the hit?
What FP's are you using? I just measured several different types of FP's and BH's and the HIT tool places the HIT's "deeper" than any of those would have. Every single FP and BH shank that I measured was between 5/16" and 6/16", while the HIT tool measures between 7/16" and 8/16"......so puts them in deeper.

And the logic behind that is so that most every FP and BH seats completely against the shaft without any gaps. If the FP or BH has a gap between it and the shaft, then a hard hit will break the HIT free and force it back into the shaft further, mushrooming the tip.

But it sounds like you've got some extra long shanked FP's. I'd be careful with some BH's that might have short threads/shanks, and they may not be able to fully screw into the HIT......or perhaps only 1 or 2 turns. I had some Ramcats like that when they first came out, one turn was about all they would tighten.

As for hotmelt, cool melt, etc......I've never had an insert stay in long except with my ACC's with the inner core being aluminum.

JDZ

WKR
Question about hot melt:

If you remove a component like a HIT, how do you dry fit it next time you want to reinstall using the same component or shaft? There’s always some leftover glue on everything and it’s tough for me to get everything to spin correctly again. Especially broadheads.

GWHunter

FNG
If I remove one, I toss the insert and get a new one. I clean the inside of the shaft with a borebrush and some naptha.

dlee56

WKR
Question about hot melt:

If you remove a component like a HIT, how do you dry fit it next time you want to reinstall using the same component or shaft? There’s always some leftover glue on everything and it’s tough for me to get everything to spin correctly again. Especially broadheads.
When you reheat the assembly to pull it out you can usually wipe off the insert with a paper towel. Warm the insert up more after you pull it out if it's not wiping off.

I also use a bore brush to clean out the shaft.

dlee56

WKR
I've only had 1 insert pull out with hot melt, I was shooting 1 arrow over and over into a Rinehart in my living room and it just slipped out a half inch after a dozen shots. Friction got it warm enough.

OP
Button

Button

WKR
If I remove one, I toss the insert and get a new one. I clean the inside of the shaft with a borebrush and some naptha.
If nothings wrong with it why not clean it off? Or toss it in the ‘when I’m in a bind box’.
I get time is money but I do have a box just for used stuff that I could make work again if needed. Mostly fishing stuff.