House remodeling toolbag

Randle

WKR
Well we just bought 5 acres with a couple houses on it . I am going to remodel our house then one for my parents to live in.I am looking for input about moving from room to room working. I have used a tool belt with suspenders but I seen a messenger bag tool setup and a 5 gal bucket canvas bag deal . Trying to see if anyone has experience with them and what you have good or bad .
Thanks

Takem

WKR
I would stick with the a bag with suspenders or a vest (my personal preference) if you're doing carpentry work. You need to have your essentials close by as you move around. I use a husky bag for other tools. Something like this Husky 18 in. Large Mouth Bag - - Amazon.com. The buckets are PITA IMO. Everything gets lost at the bottom. I'd also recommend a descent set of battery powered tools if it's in your budget. The Milwaukee 18V Fuel tools are unbelievable but are expensive. Dewalt are pretty good as well. Good luck with your projects. I've done quite a bit of that kind of work if you ever have questions feel free to contact me.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Bucket Boss' are nice for extra hand tools and same for grab bags. But nothing replaces nail bags. I've been using DeWalt bags for many years. If you need suspenders, get the stretchy ones.

Greg Beck

WKR
Tool bag with suspenders! I can't do any amount of carpentry work without my Occidental Leather bags. But that's after 12 years of wearing them every day. Agree with a good set of cordless tools. Good luck and enjoy the project!!

Last edited:
OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Thanks so far , so kick the bucket idea out. I guess my big problem right now also is I have stuff in storage in several places and cannot find the nail/toolbelt any where. So if I replace it ,it will show up HaHA. I have most all the tools I need just need a good way to tote them around. Its going to be a long haul project, and want to know any info on tool belts, vests, and other ways of working around the projects.

7mag.

WKR
I use both. I spent several years owning and running a remodel business. I wear my bags (occidental), with my small hand tools (hammer, tape, speed square, linesman pliers, utility knife, screw driver, chalk line, plumb bob, torpedo level, pencil, cats paw, and of course, nails/screws), and I keep my bucket with bucket boss near by with larger, less often used items (extra nails/screws, shims, extra chalk, calking gun, string line, clamps, extra pencils, extra ear plugs and safety glasses, sand paper, gloves, 100ft tape, extra screw bits, cordless drill/screw gun, key hole saw, drywall rasp, etc.).

gumbl3

WKR

TJ

WKR
I'm not a carpenter but for electrical work bags are a must. Buckets are nice for extra tools though.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Thanks for the input, this morning I woke up thinking about where my toolbag might be . which storage unit, I found the tote with the toolbag and screw gun holster. so i guess no need to replace them.
I just thought the shoulder electricla bag looked handy, I dont care for the toolbelt and the better idea fairy is taking over.

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
I work construction and mostly wear bags but would be lost without my bucket of tools nearby,especially if you're remodeling and doing different tasks in the same day.

You need more tools. Here's my solution.

[video=youtube;PdStPEjdHyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdStPEjdHyo[/video]

Tool bags are nice for framing or any task involving a lot of loose fasteners (drywall, metal roof/siding, decking, etc), otherwise I think they are a PITA. For finish work I have found a rolling tool cart to be a lot more useful and efficient.

Access Denied

Not the one I use, but you get the idea. There's all manor of them, I like the ones with 1-2 drawers with a work top and a shelf or two.

Congrats on your big purchase, hope it has lots of national forest opportunities bordering it. :)

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Browtine , I work in an auto repair shop and use a cart alot, never thought of 1 for this project but I kinda like the idea. , Sawzall, screw gun , skil saw, nail and screw bins, plus a flat surface in which i can load it up so there is no longer room for anything else, Haha. I used the old tool belt today and remembered just how much I really don,t like them. Off to the store at lunch tomorrow to see what the better good idea fair has for me. I am pretty efficient at auto repair by being organized so I think this might help.

I'm a finish carpenter and can't stand wearing bags all day unless I'm working on a roof or in an attic. I much prefer using Fastcap's speed clip for my tape and pencil, a handful of screws in my pocket when needed, and grabbing what I'm using at the moment. A bucket is nice for carrying hand tools into the room you're working in.

SpeedClip, Tape Measure Belt Clip - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

I don't do much production type work, so I'm generally either in my shop or in a certain room for awhile so it's easy to grab what I need.

Randle, hope you find what works best for you. Don't forget to take before and after pictures, they are always cool to look back and see what you've done.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Well I went to the new place tonight and there was actually a roll around tool cart in 1 of the sheds. ( The husband died , and when they sold the place there was 2 feet of snow and she left what would not fit in the moving van) Anyway I dug it out and took it in the house, single level rancher, So I really like this setup. Hand Tools and small bins of nails, screws, and wire nuts, etc. on top shelf and easy to grab, saws, and bulky tools on the bottom shelf. I still use the toolbelt but it is much nicer having just a few tools in it . Thanks for all the help.