How accurate at 300 yards

I'm new to elk hunting - first hunt this November -

I bought a .300 win mag and am hitting within 6 inches or less at 300 yards off hand with no rest - closer if I have a rest to use. Also, I am using a 3 x 9 x 40 leupold scope - that's what was on the rifle when I bought it so I figured I'd use it for this hunt (I have the same scope on 3 of my rifles I use for deer). You guys figure this would work on an elk? I think its a little loose for a deer but figured elk are larger and have a bigger sweet spot...

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have to say as well, 6" group off hand at 300 yards is exceptional. You should have no problems and that's a great caliber for elk.

Elk vital zone is approx a two foot circle... if you’re keeping a 6” group you’re fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off hand? What do you mean by that? Just curious if we are all talking about the same thing.

I shoot for MOA (1” group per 100y, so 3” at 300y) from a bench wirh bipod. Rather than focus on that though, I think it’s better to practice various shooting positions and get them in a 12” square every time.

LOL. Very few people can hit a 12" circle off a rest with a lightweight .300 in my experience. Offhand that is impressive.

That’s kinda my point. People will learn what their range is from various positions when they shoot a lot. Prone wirh a bipod I’m good to 400, seated I lose 150y, off hand I might shoot St 150y. Guys say “I wouldn’t shoot more than 300y at an elk”...from what position?

That’s kinda my point. People will learn what their range is from various positions when they shoot a lot. Prone wirh a bipod I’m good to 400, seated I lose 150y, off hand I might shoot St 150y. Guys say “I wouldn’t shoot more than 300y at an elk”...from what position?
Usually when I mention a distance limit, it's under only the best conditions, prone, with my rifle resting very solidly on my pack. Before I leave for my hunt, I spend some time shooting off my pack, and standing with a vertical support (like using a tree as a rest), etc. so I can get some real idea of what my limits are.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR

Shooting enough to know is what matters. Unfortunately, many do not.

Shooting enough to know is what matters. Unfortunately, many do not.

I wasn’t shooting enough and missed (complete miss) two antelope last year! No idea how I missed that badly.

So I started reloading this year and feel much more confident. Fortunately both my rifle elk last year were under 60y so poor shooting didn’t matter :)