How accurate at 300 yards

Sobrbiker

WKR
If you can consistently hit a 6” target offhand unsupported at 300yds with a 300WM that’s outstanding-change nothing and keep doing what you’re doing.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
rest quality is key to long range shots, just finished todays session, and both of my partners kids kicked my butt till 300 yrds, then experienced kicked their behinds. both of them shot just over an inch at 200 yds from a bench rest while I was a solid 2". At 300 yrds I was just around 3" from the rest and just under 4" from sticks. wind was a little crossing but around 9-10mph at a 35-40 degree angle they never got below 4" from the rest and hit 5-6" from the sticks. You need to practice what you will shoot distance wise, position wise and condition wise, do so until you are proficient.

I bought a mesh bag of old worn soccer balls and basket balls at a junk sale few years ago. Wife said what the hell are you going to do with those? for $10 we had 20 vital sized targets we threw around the farm and would have to run and get heart rate elevated then drop and try to snipe the balls from 200-500 yards in different positions.
Its easy to miss something that big when heart is pumping and your running and gunning after elk. 100 yards on a moving elk off hand is no easy task.

6" @ 300 yards free hand is impressive, however to take a shot like that in a hunting situation is a bad idea. One thing in practice, it's another on game day. I'm at a point where I don't much believe in taking a shot from an unsupported position. Too easy to quickly get a rest from something. Inside of 50 yards your fine, but if something is 150 and you don't have time to drop to the ground or get against a tree or something, you don't have time to properly evaluate the shot. This coming from a guy who has missed a lot of layups, had to learn to slow down.

Apollo117

WKR
@Flatlander50, what is your profession if you don't mind me asking? The only people I know who can shoot anywhere near 6" at 300 yards offhand are surgeons.

OP
F
I am so not a surgeon. But...I have spent quite a bit of time and bullets (money) shooting this monster - as I have my .270 at that range - granted this isn't done out of breath and at altitude but in that case a rest would be in short order I am sure. Although in Kansas, shots at deer where I hunt are normally inside of 150 yards it never hurts to have confidence in the longer ranges - I figured from what I have read, shooting ranges for Elk are at or inside 300 yards - now if I can only be able to see one that'll be a win for sure!

Wassid82

WKR
we use the same cal. and out thoughts have always been 8" kill zone. We practice out to 800yrds and use a gong that is 8". I don't need to score points in a precision rifle competition. 8" has worked every time for us. The best tip I can share is keep sending lead as long as they are standing up. 2,4,6,8" only matters as long as they are standing