How are guys finding ammo?

footingit

FNG
I have had decent luck keeping an eye on Federal’s website. You’ll definitely pay more than a year ago, but they seem to restock fairly regularly and don’t sell out instantaneously since they cap the number of boxes you can get.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I would answer your question but if I share how it's done then I may lose the ability to purchase cases of lot-matched ammo. Kinda like a hunting a honey hole...secrecy is your only protection.
I mean, how many cases does one man need? I think most of the fellas on here aren’t trying to hoard. They are just trying to get enough bullets to practice and hunt. I’ve got a case of 6.5 eldx and I’m done, since I can make that last at least through this time next year, maybe even two full seasons if I can replenish a bit. It’s a zero sum game with a limited supply. The guys that are hoarding and stockpiling are actively preventing regular guys from getting what they need to practice and hunt. Moderation would go a lo by way towards solving this problem. Not calling you out in particular, but I want to help hunters get ammo - we are all in this together. *steps down from soapbox*

I mean, how many cases does one man need? I think most of the fellas on here aren’t trying to hoard. They are just trying to get enough bullets to practice and hunt. I’ve got a case of 6.5 eldx and I’m done, since I can make that last at least through this time next year, maybe even two full seasons if I can replenish a bit. It’s a zero sum game with a limited supply. The guys that are hoarding and stockpiling are actively preventing regular guys from getting what they need to practice and hunt. Moderation would go a lo by way towards solving this problem. Not calling you out in particular, but I want to help hunters get ammo - we are all in this together. *steps down from soapbox*

Well for those of us who take shooting seriously, practice often with the same ammo we zeroed our scope to and hunt with, a single case of ammo won't last long. That's only ten boxes...I shoot at least three or four boxes when practicing (in a variety of positions) so if I only practice four times a year...that's 1.6 cases a year. Buying 3 or more cases of lot-matched ammo at a time is not such a bad idea...it's not hoarding unless you don't burn it. I burn through it. The bigger orders command more attention from certain vendors.

Training-vs-Practice.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
we are not all in this together, plenty of folks looking out for themselves. That is just the reality of the situation we are all in together.
I have no problem looking out for #1, but I’m also all about helping out strangers with the same struggle - whether it’s finding more ammo, packing out an elk, pulling a truck out of a ditch, or fixing a flat tire. Maybe I’m not cynical enough yet, but I treat others the way I’d like to be treated - seems like a pretty good starting point. Except for those posts that start with “not looking for anyone’s honey holes, but...”. Not helping those guys out!

Mortgage rates are low. Home equity loan and browse the GunBroker! Then, buy a cheap bug out camp. Walkaway when the economy goes in the tank. Flawless strategy. ;-)

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
ELDX available on grabagun! Don’t worry - I left some for the rest of you filthy animals. 3 boxes is enough for me

Fordguy

WKR
Not here. At least not anymore. Good thing I bought my 350 legend ammo last fall. I've seen everything but 30-06 on shelves at walmart and academy these last few months, which figures. 30-06 is what I want to use this fall if I'm lucky enough to draw. Forgot to add that wallyworld even had a few different flavors of 6.5 rhe last time I was there. Atwoods (farm store) has had 6mm and 6.8 for a month and its been the only thing on the shelf.

Buy whatever you can and trade for what you need.. don't pass up a box because it's 5 dollars too much

jlh42581

WKR
Found my first box on the shelf a week ago for a gun I have but didnt need ammo for anytime soon. Bought it, my buddy gave me the purchase price and I gave it to him as thats his main gun.

Ive had not one but two guys on these forums(one here) reach out and help me get the ammo I needed after mentioning it. Grateful for those guys helping. I am starting to see SOME ammo come back here but not much. Too high of a population of hunters in PA, it gets cleaned up quick.

fmyth

WKR
Not here. At least not anymore. Good thing I bought my 350 legend ammo last fall. I've seen everything but 30-06 on shelves at walmart and academy these last few months, which figures. 30-06 is what I want to use this fall if I'm lucky enough to draw. Forgot to add that wallyworld even had a few different flavors of 6.5 rhe last time I was there. Atwoods (farm store) has had 6mm and 6.8 for a month and its been the only thing on the shelf.
Almost $3 a round for Core Lokts: https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/r30062-remington-core-lokt-30-06-spring-150-grain-psp.html