How are you reducing ounces?

Getting down to that time. Let’s see how you’re cutting down your weight. Some of us will appreciate ways to make it easier to hunt! Been using a snow peak and it’s been good!08A92B6A-09DE-43B1-8127-20641ABFC5B3.jpeg5606A78A-A643-41D5-BCA6-E4D1E4B868F2.jpeg

rclouse79

WKR
Last year I went cold food with no stove. This year I have an old alcohol stove I made years ago. I found one fourth of a single plastic shot bottle filled with 91 percent isopropyl alcohol is enough to keep it lit for 7 minutes which will just about boil my lightweight pot full of water. I am looking forward to an occasional cup of coffee and noodles with tuna at night. I will have to see what the whole setup weights, but it feels like nothing. Way lighter that the jet boil with a full fuel canister.

OP
isItFallYet
Last year I went cold food with no stove. This year I have an old alcohol stove I made years ago. I found one fourth of a single plastic shot bottle filled with 91 percent isopropyl alcohol is enough to keep it lit for 7 minutes which will just about boil my lightweight pot full of water. I am looking forward to an occasional cup of coffee and noodles with tuna at night. I will have to see what the whole setup weights, but it feels like nothing. Way lighter that the jet boil with a full fuel canister.
I love hunting with guys that bring a jetboil!

Marble

WKR
Kudos you you guys that go that far! I can't think of anything I've done to reduce weight except to buy good light weight gear.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Best instant coffee^

I ended up getting a NeoAir and shaving 12oz from a an older (but damn comfy) sea to summit pad.

SwiftShot

WKR
Went from Jetboil to Toaks 550 ml witha BSR stove. That shaved off some weight. Went to a light weight knife. Relacement blade model. That dropped a bunch of weight. I was packing a big old timer dropped from over a pound to around 2 oz. Light weight head lamp as well.

Biggest change, lost 20 lbs from my fat ass. That was the biggest and most cost effective.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have found the SnowPeak is very poor in the wind. I picked up a Soto Windmaster with triflex pot support, weighs the same, should be more fuel efficient.

Ditch the SnowPeak stove case, it is needless weight. Get rid of all cases/bags that are not essential. Cut tags off. Trim excess straps. Stopped carrying things I don't use much (i.e. don't take the good idea fairy with you).

Lighter gear, up to a point. Mine could be lighter, but I feel it is at a sweet spot for weight vs function.

For many of us, eat less, move more. At best I could cut a few pounds from my gear at the expense of a lot of function and funds. However, I will be carrying 25 pounds less this year due to diet and exercise. This too can only go so far though and cannot replace lightening a pack (but should certainly be a supplement to it).

This year, to lighten my gear, I have switched from an Exo pack (great pack and great company) to a Seek Outside pack. I ditched the Benchmade Altitude and mini Griptilian and replaced them with a single Benchmade Bugout. I will also be leaving the HDPE Nalgene and taking a Poweraid bottle. I made my own belt with 1 inch webbing and a gatekeeper buckle. I made my own shooting sling with 1 inch webbing. I got a Kuhl ball cap and will be leaving the cotton ones at home.

I've also gotten heavier in some areas. Got a Ketabatic quilt and gained a few ounces, added a glassing pad (tired of a wet butt), added croc's for camp shoes, moved to a heavier scope, Etc.

My actual list will vary (and the excel sheet is a bit complicated to allow for that), but attached is a pack list example.

Attachments

• Gear list and pack wieght.pdf
    65.6 KB · Views: 28

Drenalin

WKR
I cut the interior pockets out of a pack to reduce the weight by a couple of ounces. Also stopped screwing around with sleeping pads and bought an XTherm (went with the regular wide in the mummy shape to save some grams). Replaced my DST tarp with a Yama Mountain Gear tarp to save about 8 ounces.

In general, I try to buy lightweight gear, assuming function is at least adequate. Then cut away everything unnecessary. Make a list, refine the list, and don't deviate from the list.

JD Jones

WKR
I lightened up my rifle shaved 5+ # right there. Could definitely lighten my pad but nah… it’s too comfortable. And of course maintenance on weight. Lost 70# last year and I have gained none back this year. That was the best weight savings to date

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of ways to reduce weight that are practical. Lose body weight. I need to lose a good 7 or so pounds haha.

Repackage the freeze dried meals into Qt ziplock bags. write how many ounces of water each needs on them. I went from using a Jetboil MiniMo to a MSR Pocket rocket and Seek Outside Cup. Saved weight and space. My puffy and sleeping bag are down rather synthetic since I predominately hunt in Colorado. I also use the Seek Silex with nest, its a great ultra lite shelter for the solo hunter and backpacker. Probably the biggest thing I do is I don't over pack on clothes. I pack an extra pair of socks and thin base layer bottoms but thats it other than my layering system and that thats for 7 days.

OP
isItFallYet
I have found the SnowPeak is very poor in the wind. I picked up a Soto Windmaster with triflex pot support, weighs the same, should be more fuel efficient.
There is a windscreen for the snowpeak, but the reviews are not very good. I'm usually able to find some type of area to block the wind when I use my stove. I wonder if bringing a small piece of foil would be beneficial if I ever need to use the stove in the wind. I've been using this for 3 years so far and haven't really had an issue other than it taking longer to boil water sometimes when it is windy.

BBob

WKR
There is a windscreen for the snowpeak, but the reviews are not very good.
I used one many years ago when there weren’t nearly as many choices as we have today. The windscreen worked better than without for sure but it’s a little heavy and bulky. Still not a huge penalty if you think you need it. My kit then was an MSR Kettle, GigaPower with the windscreen and a Ti Sierra cup.

Last edited:

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Probably the biggest thing I do is I don't over pack on clothes. I pack an extra pair of socks and thin base layer bottoms but thats it other than my layering system and that thats for 7 days.
This is a great tip and something I learned over the summer. I was packing a lot of spares and what-ifs. Trust your layering system!

I think I'm kinda growing my weight after being kind of a weight weenie. As an example, I'm going to use a Primus Eta Lite stove after using a JetBoil Sol Ti or a BRS-3000. Just kinda got sick of my buddy eating his hot dinner before me. Probably gaining some fuel efficiency too.

I don't really weigh my food or count calories anymore. Just kinda throw it all together.

I use a Nalgene bottle even though it's heavier than a bladder. Just faster and simpler.

I switched to the Sirui VA-5 tripod head; used to be a lighter Benro S2, but I gained a lot of performance.

Probably a couple other things.

Last edited: