How are you reducing ounces?

OP
isItFallYet
I'll be bringing my 13 year old son this year, and this is the biggest reason for cutting ounces for me. I will have to have a bigger tent and a few other items to accommodate having him along. I have went from a 1 person tent at 3lbs to a 2 person tent at just over 2lbs and am considering other ways to cut weight. I will probably field strip all my dehydrated means so that I dont have to take the heavy pouches, but it is a pain to clean out my cooking pot after each use, and it requires more water to do so. For those of you that dont cook in the pouch, what other options are there, if any?

TRD1911

WKR
Lost 12lbs around my waist.
iodine tabs and steripen instead if a pump style
lithium batteries for headlamp and GPS

BBob

WKR
My Sterno Inferno pot and BRS burns 3.5g fuel for a 2c boil and I wouldn’t call it slow. I do compromise boil speed to fuel efficiency though. I haven’t done any better than that with a few other stoves tested that all weigh more. The Soto Windmaster tests identical to the BRS with that pot in good conditions. The Soto’s advantage is it will do better with wind and no windscreen but it’s a little heavier and bulkier. I carry some foil with the BRS as a windscreen but it’s not as effective as the Soto. That’s all nit picking so pick your poison ;)

sram9102

WKR
I'll be bringing my 13 year old son this year, and this is the biggest reason for cutting ounces for me. I will have to have a bigger tent and a few other items to accommodate having him along. I have went from a 1 person tent at 3lbs to a 2 person tent at just over 2lbs and am considering other ways to cut weight. I will probably field strip all my dehydrated means so that I dont have to take the heavy pouches, but it is a pain to clean out my cooking pot after each use, and it requires more water to do so. For those of you that dont cook in the pouch, what other options are there, if any?
I can't remember the name of the company but I have a insulated pouch that quart sized freezer bags fit it. Put the meal in the bag then pour the water in. Less trash to haul out and less bulk in the pack. The freezer bags hold up to boiling water great.

Edited to add Dinner Bivy

Last edited:
OP
isItFallYet
The original and probably the most expensive is the DCF fabric HMG Repack. There’s knockoffs and homemade bubble wrap options out there.
What's the best place online to view all of these ultra lightweight options?

sram9102

WKR
The original and probably the most expensive is the DCF fabric HMG Repack. There’s knockoffs and homemade bubble wrap options out there.

I have an arrowhead dinner bivy. Found the website.

gadwallop

FNG
I pack a tarp and 550 cord instead of a tent. I don't have a true ultralight tent, so maybe it would save you less than it does me, but I've never had a need for a tent AND a sleep system with bivy. Saves considerable space too!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My kids will be going with me some. I picked up an SO DCF Cimarron to be lighter with space.

The cheap and effective pouch is take one of the pouches the meals came in and use it as a cozy. Repack all the meals in something that will handle boiling water (I like to vacuum pack them), that way your cozy does not need to be washed. If you repack right before leaving you can put butter or olive oil directly into the meal as well as add any seasonings you want. Fats will keep at room temp for several weeks, especially vacuum packed.

I have added ounces since i started backcountry hunting. I added a heavier sleeping pad, sleeping bag, my cooking gear is heavier and i bring a camp chair in plus a .45 and my food seems a little heavier. Oh and my pack is a little heavier than an ultralight. Even though its a little heavier and a little more effort getting in and out, i am fresh every day and have more energy than the competition which i believe gives me a leg up on the competition.

Last edited:

SwiftShot

WKR
Instead of Croqs, I am running these off of Amazon. Talk about lightweight 7 oz for the pair. Had them for 2 years without problems.

CERYTHRINA Garden Shoes Clogs Sandals​

OP
isItFallYet
If I was bringing a 13 year old son with me and cutting weight, my cut weight would be going in his pack.......and then adding some more.
Haha, yeah I thought about that but not sure if he’ll be up to the task come day 5-15!

DeePow

FNG
I have found the SnowPeak is very poor in the wind. I picked up a Soto Windmaster with triflex pot support, weighs the same, should be more fuel efficient.

Ditch the SnowPeak stove case, it is needless weight. Get rid of all cases/bags that are not essential. Cut tags off. Trim excess straps. Stopped carrying things I don't use much (i.e. don't take the good idea fairy with you).

Lighter gear, up to a point. Mine could be lighter, but I feel it is at a sweet spot for weight vs function.

For many of us, eat less, move more. At best I could cut a few pounds from my gear at the expense of a lot of function and funds. However, I will be carrying 25 pounds less this year due to diet and exercise. This too can only go so far though and cannot replace lightening a pack (but should certainly be a supplement to it).

This year, to lighten my gear, I have switched from an Exo pack (great pack and great company) to a Seek Outside pack. I ditched the Benchmade Altitude and mini Griptilian and replaced them with a single Benchmade Bugout. I will also be leaving the HDPE Nalgene and taking a Poweraid bottle. I made my own belt with 1 inch webbing and a gatekeeper buckle. I made my own shooting sling with 1 inch webbing. I got a Kuhl ball cap and will be leaving the cotton ones at home.

I've also gotten heavier in some areas. Got a Ketabatic quilt and gained a few ounces, added a glassing pad (tired of a wet butt), added croc's for camp shoes, moved to a heavier scope, Etc.

My actual list will vary (and the excel sheet is a bit complicated to allow for that), but attached is a pack list example.
I really enjoy the formatting of The Exo Gear List especially since you can check boxes varying upon what you need for the specific trip. It also adds the weight depending on what you’ve added.