How are you reducing ounces?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really enjoy the formatting of The Exo Gear List especially since you can check boxes varying upon what you need for the specific trip. It also adds the weight depending on what you’ve added.
I'll have to look into it. My current method is the weight listed on the left is added up, the weight on the right is just what the item weighs so I can easily added it. The colord items are a group that serves one purpose. For example, I have 3 stoves, but only need to take one, so stoves are grouped together and highlighted the same color.

Check boxes would be simpler.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else use their sleeping bag stuff sack and puffy for a pillow?
I’ve used a few different things to eliminate a separate pillow, good sleep is paramount though so if you need one use one. I had a puffy vest that I primarily brought Incase my jacket wasn’t enough, stuffed any extra soft items into a stuff sack or pack lid. Game bags work too.

SwiftShot

WKR
I'll be bringing my 13 year old son this year, and this is the biggest reason for cutting ounces for me. I will have to have a bigger tent and a few other items to accommodate having him along. I have went from a 1 person tent at 3lbs to a 2 person tent at just over 2lbs and am considering other ways to cut weight. I will probably field strip all my dehydrated means so that I dont have to take the heavy pouches, but it is a pain to clean out my cooking pot after each use, and it requires more water to do so. For those of you that dont cook in the pouch, what other options are there, if any?
Ziplock freezer bags and a homemade backpacker cozy. Ziplock freezer bags can take boiling water, and a homemade cozy will keep it warm to rehydrate. Long distance backpackers do this because it saves weight and fuel.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Haha, yeah I thought about that but not sure if he’ll be up to the task come day 5-15!
Give him all the water, that way his load gets lighter as the day goes on. I use my folded up pants and shirt as my pillow for backpack hunts. Keeps them warmer as well for putting them on in the mornings.

Scoot

WKR
Cut weight by cutting ounces.. ounces of beer! I like beer too much. I cut back in August and that helps me lose weight.

My best weight loss device. Right before I hit the trail I lose 10-14 ounces in 30 seconds. Lol1EEB4366-0D2B-43E8-B63F-4699A66E51A9.jpeg

After losing 60# of body fat I'm actually adding weight to my pack
I saw a YouTube movie today and it was basically fat me. The fat dude trying to cut oz on gear while ignoring the pounds of extra weight on your body.

So now I've added whiskey cigars a chair and a cot And still lighter than the body fat I used to pack

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
There is a free app called “PackLight” that is great for adding your items and making gear lists as well. You can easily add or subtract items from a list and see the total weight.

I don’t have a ton of money, so most of my weight savings techniques involve just doing with less.

For example, I realized I don’t use my trekking poles much, so my MT Shelter LT wasn’t truly that lightweight if I’m bringing 2 8 ounce trekking poles just for that. Switching to a tarp would save over a pound and not cost a crazy amount to switch to that.

Another example, if you stay busy and can put up with a few days of calorie deficit, just bring 1 or two meals a day. You have to really know your body and mind to push the limit on that. Can’t say I recommend that for most people.

Bike riding, cutting down carbs, smaller meals, rucking, Lost 20lbs since 7-01-22. Hope to lose 10-12 more by Sept 15th.
Best way to cut ounces for sure!

grfox92

WKR
Bike riding, cutting down carbs, smaller meals, rucking, Lost 20lbs since 7-01-22. Hope to lose 10-12 more by Sept 15th.
Best way to cut ounces for sure!
This is my philosophy. I can't wrap my head around cutting ounces. Whatever my pack weighs when it's loaded, is what it weighs and I'll carry it. I'm not eating cold food to save less then a pound.

I've lost 12 pounds since last season. That means I can carry 12 more pounds of stuff on my back to be comfortable and enjoy myself. (Joking)

How do you cut ounces when your packing out 150 lbs of boneless elk meat?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

This is my philosophy. I can't wrap my head around cutting ounces. Whatever my pack weighs when it's loaded, is what it weighs and I'll carry it. I'm not eating cold food to save less then a pound.

I've lost 12 pounds since last season. That means I can carry 12 more pounds of stuff on my back to be comfortable and enjoy myself. (Joking)

How do you cut ounces when your packing out 150 lbs of boneless elk meat?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
I assure you, you will be shedding ounces pretty quickly packing out 150 lbs of boneless meat! but then you could make two trips and split that load!

Drenalin

WKR
I don't understand the mentality that it needs to be an either-or thing. What exactly is the problem with working on yourself and working to reduce carried weight? Even more so with the knowledge that you will (hopefully) be adding a load of meat? I've cut my pack weight by 20 or 25% the past couple of years while also improving physical conditioning - to me, the correct answer is to do both. Obviously one is more important than the other, but that doesn't even remotely mean they're mutually exclusive.

BayouBen

FNG
And I quit using the individual bags/sacks that come with each piece of gear in my bag. It helps fill the volume of your pack better and shaves off some weight.