How are you reducing ounces?

I struggle to keep my weight up during hunting season. It can be a real struggle to stay above 200 lbs when you hunt every day of the season.

Well I didn’t get a tag this year so I don’t have to carry a bow or game bags and get to use trekking poles the whole time so my legs are going to feel great!

I’m terrible at cutting more weight, today I threw on my Stryker xl for an afternoon bear hunt and thought “what in the hell is in this thing?!” Way too heavy for a day hunt… I didn’t look, haha

It takes a lot of accumulated ounces to add up to matter, so I always figure the opposite is also true, you would have to get rid of a lot of ounces to matter, so I’m not that motivated

I’m a believer in my body will adapt to what my pack weight ends up for the season

I try to stay acclimated to having a pack on, that’s the hardest to me, when you aren’t in a pack much, then put one on and start doing hard miles

I certainly appreciate light gear, but I’m not manic about pack weight… I assume my desire to find the lightest gear I can will eventually happen when I slow down a bit

I went to a smaller pack, which only allows me to carry so much. This forced me to cut back on everything and re-evaluate what I am taking vs. what I am actually using. My layering system got an overhaul as did my sleep system. I cut back on food and that was the biggest way to cut weight. I’ve never really been “hungry” on a hunt, so it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I also trimmed up my kill kit, stopped carrying a spotter and a tripod. My 12x binos and a monopod work well for me. What has been the biggest help has been just being out in the backcountry more with less and learning to be comfortable with out having extra things to carry that I might use.