How bad is Huskemaw's glass and dialing compared to everything in their weight range?

netman

WKR
I have a 5-20x50 Huskemaw scope . It’s one of the older ones. I have killed many animals with it.
I have shot rocks out to 880 yards. Last summer when out west on vacation with my wife we stopped by a prairie dog town I found the year before antelope hunting.
I shot PD out to 700 yards with my 264 win Mag Sendero topped with the Huskemaw. I wanted to reach out further but my range finder couldn’t range any further.
I bought my husky used off a forum classifieds.
I got the Huskemaw mounted on my 300 RUM now and it’s doing great.

Curious to why no one has mentioned the Zeiss Conquest V6 22 oz glass seems real good haven't had a chance to use the dials yet. Are they not as good as some have said?

Ah there goes my reading comprehension problem again. With that said I though there was option for capped? but again I could be confused happens easy these days

npm352

WKR
I have a pair of Leupold Mark 5 HD. So far, tracking is good, but admittedly, I haven't put a ton of rounds down range with them. I have the 3.6-18x44 and it is pretty compact and not too heavy compared to other high end models....compared to a VX5 or VX6 it is pretty heavy.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been around them a ton and still have a 5-20. Dialing is great, I've watched those systems shoot a ton of animals with very good success. The glass is average but gets better as you go up the line... like the 5-30 glass is noticeably better than the 5-20. In my opinion they are dependable scopes but the glass isn't quite there when comparing to Nightforce or similar.. but my equivalent nightforce weighs much more.

I have a Blue Diamond in 5-20 and it has been 100% reliable. I know a lot of guys that run the Huskemaw without an issue. The glass (Schott) in the Tactical Hunter is supposed to be a big improvement over the Blue Diamond.

Overdrive

WKR
Have 2 rifles set up with 5-20 Blue Diamonds and I'll never need to buy another scope, holds zero, good and clear. My friends got me hooked on Huskemaw, shot an antelope with one of their rifles at 400 yards and I'd never shot the rifle a day in my life. I feel there's more that just good glass that go into long range shooting/hunting. I looked at my friends 5-30 but for me it's a bit bulky for the kind of hunting I do, but I do like the level set up in the scope, I have mine on the outside of the scope and I always worry I'll snag it or break it off.

I've only seen one actual tracking test on a March, and it wasn't good. Replacement scope was sent out, and it wasn't good either. Lots of anecdotal evidence though.

Inconsistent tracking or just the overall size of adjustment being off? Its well established that they used a different mil dimension than most for a while. The 3-24x52 I had was supposed to have updated mil dimensions but it was actually off in the opposite direction as shown in this vid.
All of that isn't a big deal to me if adjustments are consistent and repeatable, it can be built into you ballistic calculator and DOPE.

March has great glass, turrets, and form factors but the finicky parallax/diopter and crappy reticles makes them a bad choice for an aiming device to me.