How bad is the winter kill???

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did some hiking with a friend yesterday on the north Idaho montana border and he found this buck looked to be lion kill deer had it easy up north until late January and then the snow and cold hit for seven weeks things have melted good now too bad for this high country MuleyCE82E442-E83C-4121-99EA-C512C8F00415.jpeg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Did some hiking with a friend yesterday on the north Idaho montana border and he found this buck looked to be lion kill deer had it easy up north until late January and then the snow and cold hit for seven weeks things have melted good now too bad for this high country MuleyView attachment 93283
It's obvious that that deer preferred Dos Equis XX. Stay thirsty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

squirrel

WKR
Prime dying time is upon us now and the deer are looking pretty rough. Getting pounded by cars and trains, even some of the weakest elk are not looking very good, the spikes and small rags are looking weak and lots of winter yet to come.

Snowpack is heavy but there was just nothing there on the range for them to eat after last year when it was ten feet between shoots of grass. A terrible combination but for somewhat moderate temps it may have been one for the books, the wrong kind of books.

This is specific to NC CO.

I don’t think it’s the total snowpack that is hurting our beards this year but rather the amount of snow that’s has hit the low lands in each storm. My family in Pinedale has had more snow fly this year than many years ago, not total but per storm. Multiple storms with feet of snow falling.

Deer and elk are looking pretty rough here in SW MT, NEVER seen it like this here. Ground is still covered (90%) with snow at 3500 ft. I have never seen the deer as thin as they are now, haven't personally seen any winterkill but several people have been telling me of young deer dying and several elk.

Joelweb

FNG
Josh, you are the bearer of good news. Thanks.

For those who don't know, Josh is a professional Hydrologist so I always lean on him for interpreting these snowpack reports. I'm figuring them out but always had a hard time comparing them to previous year's as they are "to the day", so 200% of normal on January 15 doesn't mean the same as 200% on Feb 10. Thanks Josh!

Thanks. The big difference this year in western Montana is that the snow depths in the valleys aren't all that different from the snow depths in the higher country. It has opened up some places, but not others, and I see more snow in the forecast for SW Montana. They can't get a break.

Last edited:

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
It isn't always just the amount of snow. That snow around pinedale had a very thick crust for a good portion of winter. Thick enough to walk on

Joelweb

FNG
And that's one saving grace in Montana. It was so damn cold that the snow blew around and never crusted. It sure got deep in some places, though.

I was just in Eagle and that area is already at 140% of their snowfall for this time of year. I only saw deer in the valley near town. I think any of the deer that winter a little higher might have had a rough go as they had a lot of cold days too.

The amount of snow around Star Valley and Jackson seems definitely high for this time of year. One thing to consider and that I worry the most about.... the deer came into winter in rough shape. That dry fall was brutal, biologists in Northern UT, South East ID, Western WY, all reported lower pre-winter fat content in deer. Anyone remember the fires in Western Wyoming burning til October? I can’t remember such a warm/dry September.

Thanks. The big difference this year in western Montana is that the snow depths in the valleys aren't all that different from the snow depths in the higher country. It has opened up some places, but not others, and I see more snow in the forecast for SW Montana. They can't get a break.

That is what I am seeing here. Still have 6 inches in my yard at 3500 ft. I think we have only had one night that didn't freeze (most have been in the 20 deg range) And it hasn't been warming up enough to really melt until mid afternoon, and starts firming up as soon as the sun sets. Crazy spring for sure.

mntnguide

WKR
This year is one of the largest snow years in western Wyoming in the lower elevations in history. The big winter kill 2 years ago had far less snow in the valleys as we have had this year. Jackson has not seen this much snow in town since 1952 as records show. Lots of winter kills already easy to see on hillsides and animals low along roads. We did not need a winter like this after 2 years ago so soon. This is the year where we will really start to notice the big loss from 2 years ago effecting what we find in the highcountry in terms of up and coming bucks and future prospects. I have not heard good reports from biologists about how the winter ranges have fared as well. Might be a lot more time and country to cover to find the big ones this summer

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've counted over a hundred dead deer in less than 3 miles from the house. This storm is going to be a killer we're getting over the next couple of days. That is just what I can see from the road and without looking hard.

Broomd

WKR
I've counted over a hundred dead deer in less than 3 miles from the house. This storm is going to be a killer we're getting over the next couple of days. That is just what I can see from the road and without looking hard.

Damned unfortunate. Wow.

Have seen a half dozen or so dead deer near the roads over the last month. I found a dead moose two days ago on the edge of our place. Big cow, perfect teeth. Very odd.