How bad is the winter kill???

sneaky

"DADDY"
Damned unfortunate. Wow.

Have seen a half dozen or so dead deer near the roads over the last month. I found a dead moose two days ago on the edge of our place. Big cow, perfect teeth. Very odd.
There are 3 dead deer under one tree, two hanging from a fence side by side, and literally every hillside you look on, or at the bottom of draws you can see them laying. This isn't counting the ones in pastures or right next to the road. They're calling for 12-24" in the mountains for this storm. There's so many the coyotes haven't even touched them, or the birds for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
Shit
There are 3 dead deer under one tree, two hanging from a fence side by side, and literally every hillside you look on, or at the bottom of draws you can see them laying. This isn't counting the ones in pastures or right next to the road. They're calling for 12-24" in the mountains for this storm. There's so many the coyotes haven't even touched them, or the birds for that matter.

shit

ColoradoV

WKR
Yep The 60's units will fair better than the 50's units in the gunny basin. You know it is real bad when the CPW is even letting people know the winter kill was in their words "extreme" - they are saying the kill in the 50's units will be comparable to 2016/2008. I counted over 50 dead deer from the car in a bout a hour then lost the stomach and quit on Sunday. Only saw 1 fawn in that time.

Yea too many for the coyotes to eat. As the snow melts going to be another stinky drive down 50 as there are literally 100's of deer/elk along that road. Another blizzard coming today...

Fair to say that at this point 2 of the past 3 winters have been catastrophic in the Gunny basin and I am of the belief they should shut all the hunts down for 2 years (at least in the 50's units) just to let them try and recover. There is talk of CPW limiting tags further.

Very sad.

wyosteve

WKR
Just read yesterday, in southwest/western Wyo. 70% of the fawns that G &F had tagged and 30% of the does have died!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The amount of snow around Star Valley and Jackson seems definitely high for this time of year. One thing to consider and that I worry the most about.... the deer came into winter in rough shape. That dry fall was brutal, biologists in Northern UT, South East ID, Western WY, all reported lower pre-winter fat content in deer. Anyone remember the fires in Western Wyoming burning til October? I can’t remember such a warm/dry September.

Welcome to Rokslide buddy, we've been waiting for years for you to join!

This is bad and you're right about the dry fall, it can have more effect thatn we know once the big snows hit. Last time I remember this happening was around '82 and '84 (I might be off a year or two) but we had better and more habitat then to bring them back. Crap. Just Crap

sneaky

"DADDY"
he's a gentle flower, (who's killed a truckload of big bucks)
Yep, I was at his house the other day and got to see them up close. What's up with all you big buck slayers having stock? Lol

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
For my first trip not liking the sounds of this. Was hoping it's not as bad in the north central areas

sneaky

"DADDY"
Few pics I took near the house in Utah this morning. These are all within a mile or so.
ad48a8463d28097d29737e12dfa997f6.jpg
c2daba3a47a584211d8cc16e612ebdbe.jpg
3bc41a0b1fa2d775960fd3ff39511950.jpg

too fat and old to walk far
Exactly! I hunt harder waking up in a tent I can stand up in, especially w/ a heater and real food, and if I get a wild hair and shoot a big stinky yellow elk 😂it’s one trip out! the list is long @sneakybow 😎😎😂😂😂

Hey Robby...I’ll be another spud head here before long... leaving Utardia 😎