How close to the "X" do you set up on a backpack hunt?

Hey guys, I've hunted from base camps with wall tents, but feel like I waste time with that daily hike to and from base camp.

My brother and I are wanting to plan a back pack hunt and set up closer to the action. My question is, how close to the "X" do you guys set up your camps? Are you right in there with the elk, do you try to hang back a short distance, or do you try to set up a 1/2 mile back, etc.? My fear is setting up too close and the camp scene pushing the elk out of the area. This is just a hunt that I have never done, and would like your feedback.

Thanks.

I try not to put it right where I think they will travel through but I have inevitably had elk or deer walking through my camp while ive been gone or in the middle of the night while im sleeping. Elk are pretty mobile creatures so the X will always be moving and might move through your camp even if you try your hardest to place it away from the action. I dont think that has had any effect on the elk or spooking them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I try not to put it right where I think they will travel through but I have inevitably had elk or deer walking through my camp while ive been gone or in the middle of the night while im sleeping.

I've had them fold the mirrors back on my truck in the middle of the night running around my wall tent and pulling up tent stakes. So that goes for anywhere.

The whole reason I backpack in with a spike camp, is so I can cover more area than I would from base camp. So I don't have to be right on the X for camping. Those X's may still be a mile from spike camp. Or the elk may just be right outside my tent all night screaming their heads off.

Beendare

WKR
Intuitively I think you already know..... You don't want your camp pushing them out of there. So camping next to a community wallow or primary water source is a no no.

Manosteel

WKR
Intuitively I think you already know..... You don't want your camp pushing them out of there. So camping next to a community wallow or primary water source is a no no.

add in don't camp in a likely bedding areas. 3 years ago I pitched camp on the edge of a nice big meadow just inside of tree line. Looked like a good safe spot until about 2 am I had a big bull bugle his face off right outside my tent. He was not to happy with were I pitched my camp. 2 days later I shot that same bull about 2 kms (just over a mile) from that same spot. Be careful but don't stress over it to much. I like to try and camp within a few kms (about a mile of so) from where I think the elk will be but you just never know.

OP
J

Without a doubt. I know to hold back some, just wasn't sure how far. If the guys finding success on the spike camp hunts were still a mile or two out from where they plan on focusing their hunting efforts, I was going to have to re-work my plans. But it sounds like you guys are getting in pretty close (within a 1/2 mile), and not spooking the elk.

Thanks again for the knowledge.

njdoxie

WKR
I'm super cautious, I stay back about a mile, because the last thing I want to do is spook the elk, I put too much time/money/effort in, to risk spooking the elk...I'll gladly walk further for an ironclad guarantee that I'm not affecting the elk movement. But I'm not running and gunning, I know exactly where the elk are and keep my distance until I have a shot.

Last edited:

Zor

FNG
My experience this season was close. I set up in between two springs ~1/2 mile from each. While I was eating dinner the night before opening day I had a pair of bulls sparring about 200 yards from my tent. The next morning I didn't make it 75 yards from my tent before I shot a bull. Your mileage may vary, but I agree with not campingdirectly on a wallow, water source or bed.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right in with em

I'm kinda in this camp so to speak. I like to be close and sometimes I can glass from my sleeping bag in the morning. I think that as long as you keep your human noises to a bare minimum, you can get away with getting in close. Most of the time we are spiking out, we are whispering and being as quiet as we can. Now that all being said, we have been in situations where we have a fire, celebratory drinks and talking and have had animals there in the morning so go figure.
In any case, I prefer not to have to hike very far from spike camp to start hunting.

Randy